The "everything" solution? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old April 13th, 2011, 06:00 PM   #1
Regular Crew

The "everything" solution?

So, here's a fun question.

What if you're putting together a film that will be distributed on the web, on DVD, on Blu-ray, and maybe even broadcast?

What is best acquisition format?

What is best post strategy re: edit and output?

And... just to throw a real wrench in the work, what if some 24p footage has to be dropped into the project?

I'd also love the links to any forums that regularly deal with these issues.

thanks.....
Old April 13th, 2011, 09:27 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: The "everything" solution?

The classic everything format is 24p. It is the video "film" rate, lowers the web steaming load for playback and is native on DVD and Blu-ray.

Being able to drop other framerates on a timeline has more to do with your NLE's capability than anything else. I have used Edius for a long time and you can put just about anything on a timeline and it will make the footage look natural.

I don't understand the term "post strategy". Could you clarify?

DVInfo is the place to discuss these matters!
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2011, 10:53 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Polster View Post
The classic everything format is 24p. It is the video "film" rate, lowers the web steaming load for playback and is native on DVD and Blu-ray.

Being able to drop other framerates on a timeline has more to do with your NLE's capability than anything else. I have used Edius for a long time and you can put just about anything on a timeline and it will make the footage look natural.
All makes a lot of sense, except for the judder that can get in the way of certain styles of production. So I'm still on the fence. Other friends tell me to stay away from 24 as it has less color information. It's a confusing time. I just wanna shoot!

Thanks. Any other perspectives?
Old April 14th, 2011, 12:23 AM   #4
Trustee

Not sure why 24p should have less colour information, unless it's because you are 6 frames short of 30p.

My stock library informs me that 24p footage is easier to sell to a variety of clients. That's good enough reason for me ti use 24p (23.97). As for judder, I have not lost any shots due to jerky motion (yet!).
Old April 14th, 2011, 01:26 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Weaver View Post
It's a confusing time. I just wanna shoot!
Tim and Vincent are right, if in doubt go with 24p - that's your best bet unless you have a particular need to do otherwise. If your film is narrative / talking heads / documentary, stick to 24p.

To deal with judder, pan slowly (very slowly), master camera control and you'll be fine. Generally speaking (again, unless you're going for a particular effect), use a 180 degree shutter (1/48th) which will introduce a pleasing degree of motion blur, offsetting the stutter of 24p without the image becoming overly mushy.

The colour theory is bunkum. Isn't it just so typical of friends these days to go around making up stories :-)

Now you can go shoot!
Josh Dahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2011, 08:24 AM   #6
Inner Circle

24p is definately a "style" of shooting. It is more clip based, paste it together in post rather than getting all of the action or representing the entire scene in a constant flow. This approach allows for less camera movement and reminds me more of still photography a bit. Scenes at a time.

My take from a drunken sailor style, 60p camera waiver type shooter!
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2011, 12:44 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Any thoughts on 24p versus 25p if your aim is for international broadcast distribution?

I'm having the software upgrade done to a XF305 that I've just ordered that will allow both 24p & 25p frame rates but I'm still on the fence when it comes to choosing the best option out of the two for a series that will be aimed at both the European and American broadcast markets... (There's no broadcaster involved yet so no one to ask what they would prefer...)

Any ideas or opinions?
Didi Schoeman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders