Blown Out Whites at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old April 17th, 2011, 07:16 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Blown Out Whites

I'm working in Cine 1 and Cine 2 modes, and I'm finding that to get a lot of my shots of my shots properly exposed, I'm blowing out the whites quite often; and when the whites blow out, they're uglier than most any other camera I've used, many times with a pinkish tinge.

Knee has a lot to do with this -- but in Cine modes, I have no control over that.

Any suggestions?
Old April 18th, 2011, 06:13 AM   #2
Vortex Media

Re: Blown Out Whites

Bill,

I have one word for you: ZEBRA.
Set it up properly, know how to use it, and you'll almost never blow out the whites regardless of whatever paint menu settings that you're using. In my opinion, others might disagree, the histogram and waveform features of the camera are next to useless, but the Zebra controls are excellent and are all you need to set the proper exposure.

Mastering the Canon XF305/300 Camcorders training DVD

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders