OEM non-Canon batteries at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old May 16th, 2011, 10:25 AM   #1
Major Player

OEM non-Canon batteries

Given the very high price (US $270 or so) of the BP-975 high-capacity battery pack, does anybody have any experience with the plethora of aftermarket no-name batteries that'll power the XF100? The XF100 manual says that only the BP-925, 955 and 975 have accurate run-time data on the camera. If you're using an older Canon battery or an OEM battery, what do you see on the camera? How can you gauge the remaining time on the camera?

Thanks!
Old May 16th, 2011, 07:23 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: OEM non-Canon batteries

I use the Wasabi power battery from ebay, I bought two for $75 dollars or so.

It charges fine with the xf 100 battery charger, the stock canon battery is actually still in the box, I only the wasabi batteries. The batteries lasts a long time, I've left the camera on over night, and it still had two bars left after 5 hours. Real usage is less than that of course.

The only thing about non Canon batteries is that it won't display the minutes left until depletion on the camcorder. But the battery bar meter is still there, which is good enough and very accurate.

The wasabi power batteries are truly a steal, compared to the oem ones!
Sam Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2011, 05:12 PM   #3
Go Cycle

I use two Empire batteries and they work fine albeit no minute readout.
Old May 17th, 2011, 05:37 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Young View Post
I use the Wasabi power battery from ebay, I bought two for $75 dollars or so. Amazon.com: Wasabi Power Battery for Canon XF100: Electronics

It charges fine with the xf 100 battery charger, the stock canon battery is actually still in the box, I only the wasabi batteries. The batteries lasts a long time, I've left the camera on over night, and it still had two bars left after 5 hours. Real usage is less than that of course.

The only thing about non Canon batteries is that it won't display the minutes left until depletion on the camcorder. But the battery bar meter is still there, which is good enough and very accurate.

The wasabi power batteries are truly a steal, compared to the oem ones!
Ordered one yesterday along with a charger for them.
Gerald OConnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2011, 10:58 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Nice, may I ask what charger did you get? Do you have a lot of batteries? Since I would think the canon charger, along with the cable to additionally charge the camcorder would be enough. Non the less, the Wasabi power battery is a GREAT buy, even if it craps out 2 year down the road, it is certainly still much less expensive than OEM Canon batteries.
Sam Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2011, 04:27 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I bought this charger because I would rather charge a battery off of the camera. I have had a couple external chargers for cameras and just like to use the camera and charge a battery separate. For $16 it's worth it and when I just looked at it it dropped to $9 I wonder if amazon price matches LOL.
Gerald OConnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2011, 07:37 AM   #7
Major Player

I just took delivery of one of these:

The one I ordered was $29.95 from "Thememstore" via Amazon fulfillment (meaning I got free 2-day shipping courtesy of my Prime membership).

It charged up in a few hours, and as expected, doesn't show a runtime on the XF100, but I plan to use it for the first time this week and will report back what I find.
Old May 19th, 2011, 07:46 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald OConnor View Post
Replacement Rapid Battery Charger (Incl. Car and European Plug Adapters) For The Canon XF105, XF100 Camcorder:Amazon:Electronics

I bought this charger because I would rather charge a battery off of the camera. I have had a couple external chargers for cameras and just like to use the camera and charge a battery separate. For $16 it's worth it and when I just looked at it it dropped to $9 I wonder if amazon price matches LOL.
Ah yes, those chargers, I will buy on in Hong Kong when I get back. They certainly are much smaller than the Canon charger too, the Canon one is a brick!
Sam Young is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders