XF300 and CS5 workflow at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old June 12th, 2011, 08:51 PM   #1
New Boot

XF300 and CS5 workflow

I would give my left one right about now if anybody was willing to give me a step by step on how to import files from the XF300.
Can't seem to get this system to work. Tried using the white paper instructions from the net and had success in that I can open them and import through CS5 but only one at a time by pulliing the vid out of the folder individually. A major pain to say the least.

Thank you a thousand times in advance. :)
John Gibbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2011, 06:26 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: XF300 and CS5 workflow

It sounds like you are able to capture the clips and put them in a folder on your computer. If that's the case then importing them into CS5 should be no problem.

With your Premeir project open, double click on a blank area in the project panel, and the import dialog box will open. Navigate to your folder and by holding down the control key you can select as many or as few of the clips as you want and hit ok.
Old June 13th, 2011, 10:03 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Gibbins View Post
A major pain to say the least.
1. Copy the whole CONTENTS folder and all it's content from your CF card to a folder named X:\Project Name\Media\Card_01 (X:\ is your HDD)
2. Launch Premiere Pro
3. File > Import
4. Navigate to the Card_01 folder and select it
5. Click on Import Folder in the Import dialog
6. Click OK when you get the error message
7. Edit your footage

A new Bin named Card_01 will be created for you automatically in the Project Panel. Open that Bin to access all the files on the CF card. :)

(If you have more cards, copy the second card's CONTENTS folder into X:\Project Name\Media\Card_02)

You can name Card_01, Card_02, etc to whatever suites you, but be sure to always use different folders for different cards.

In CS5.5 the Media Browser filter out footage from the XF cameras automatically and making importing much smoother. And, in CS5.5 spanned clips are seen as only one (1) clip. In CS5 all spanned clips imports and it can be confusing since you have to manually put them together . (That happens in CS5.5 as well when using the Import Folder command, and thats when the Media Browser really shines in CS5.5.)

BTW, David's tip about double clicking in a blank area in the Project Panel does the same thing as File > Import and it's a great tip! :)
Old June 13th, 2011, 11:28 AM   #4
New Boot

Thank you both so much for the replies.
I have managed to get it to work although, I still get an error message that it is an incompatible file.
Click ignore and all the files are there and seem to be working.
I burned the midnight oil last night an managed to pull off a successful edit despite the error message.

Thanks again.
Old June 13th, 2011, 12:39 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Gibbins View Post
I burned the midnight oil last night an managed to pull off a successful edit despite the error message.
What does the error message say and when do you get it? Are you using the latest version of CS5, ie version 5.0.3?

To see what version: Help > About Adobe Premiere Pro
To update: Help > Updates
Old June 13th, 2011, 03:00 PM   #6
New Boot

I have CS5.5 and I get an error message whenever I drag the files over, but it just letting you know that the other files in the folder are not compatible. The video file is fine. The XF300 folder system has more than just video files in the folder. Just ignore everything else.
Derrick Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2011, 07:16 PM   #7
New Boot

I am up to date, Roger. I think Derrek has nailed it, probably just doesn't like the wrapper. I am happily on my second edit with no problems now. Thank God, as I didn't want to become upset with this camera. I love everything about it so far, with exception of the on off switch.
I am blown away at how much it likes CC. It is so much easier to get a good correction than my XHA1s was.
Thank you all again for taking the time to help.

John.
Old June 14th, 2011, 03:10 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I now use the Canon XF utility software which transfers just the video files to a folder on the hard drive and then I import the folder. Very easy and quick.
Syeed Ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2011, 12:20 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syeed Ali View Post
I now use the Canon XF utility software which transfers just the video files to a folder on the hard drive and then I import the folder. Very easy and quick.
Are you using the Export To MXF feature or Backup Media in the XF Utility?

It sounds like you are using the Export To MXF feature and thats not the best approach since you lose valuable meta data, such as when spanned clips are spanned and where they are spanned.

Thumb of rule for all memory cameras:
Never ever touch or alter the folders name and its content nor remove files that seems unimportant. Just copy the root folder and all its content. Some NLE's refuse to import if one break that rule. :)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders