Canon XF100 & FCPX recognition issue - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old August 24th, 2011, 08:55 AM   #16
New Boot

Re: Canon XF100 & FCPX recognition issue

hmm, everything looks right at first sight.

What version of the program are you running? (Is listed in the top bar of program) If you downloaded within the last 24hours all is fine.

Send me your log file and I will take a look at it. It resides in your home directory (/Users/<yourname>) and is called XfcpX.log

Send it to rune (at) pika (dot) dk
Rune Espensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2011, 09:02 AM   #17
New Boot

If you are recording interlaced, you will ses jagged lines on horizontal movement. Only way to get rid of it, is to deinterlace it - neither XfcpX or a simple rewrap in Streamclip will do that for you; you need a conversion in order to calculate the missing info.
As I mention in my blog, interlacing is, in my view, a thing to be avoided ;-) Solution: Use only "p" modes on your camera ;-)
Old August 24th, 2011, 09:07 AM   #18
New Boot

Thing is the clip I download was shot 25p... I will try and get a log to you here soon.

Thanks,
Omar
Omar Quinones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2011, 09:15 AM   #19
New Boot

I just tried it again and it working now. I downloaded the update from your website. I didn't know that you had updated it.

I looked through everything and it looks really good. I even played back the clip that I had artifacts in and they didn't show up in Quicktime. Really weird.

Anyway, this program is absolutely the way to go. If I can manage to convince my superiors that its time to upgrade our camera(s) then I will be throwing some money your way for this program.

Thanks for all of your help!

--Omar
Old August 24th, 2011, 09:22 AM   #20
New Boot

Looking at the video again and looking at the properties of the video, I see that it sees the video stream as just regular MPEG-2 Camcorder Video. Before it would say that it was XDCAM422. Why is that?

Also I'm only seeing 1 audio channel.

--Omar
Old August 25th, 2011, 03:04 AM   #21
New Boot

Hi Omar,

I am not sure what you used to identify them as XDCAM422. The MXF container has previously and mainly been used by the Sony XDCAM cameras. My guess is, that whatever utility you used, was simply assuming it would be XDCAM HD 422 as, like the Canon XF, it is just an mpeg2 stream, with a pcm audio track wrapped in the same container.
Either way, both the Sony XDCAM HD 422 and the Canon XF is just that, a yuv422 mpeg2 stream embedded in the MXF container - so no worries about "suddenly" seeing it as mpeg2 - it's what it is, in it's core ;-)

About the Audio, you are quite right - there were only one channel in the produced files. I just discovered that myself, yesterday - it seems I introduced a bug with the previous version in handling the audio. The Canon XF does not record a single Stereo track, rather it records 2 distinct mono tracks. It's a subtle, but important, difference. In the process, I lost the secondary (right) track. There's a new version up now on the Blog that fixes this issue.
Old August 25th, 2011, 07:11 PM   #22
New Boot

When I open the clips in Quicktime using that MXF plugin, Quicktime reported it as XDCAM 422. When I open the rewrapped clip from XfcpX in Quicktime, it says MPEG-2 Camcorder Video. Not sure why. When I did the rewrap with MPEG Streamclip, it kept the info as XDCAM 422...

Also when I imported the rewrapped clip from XfcpX into FCPX, it didn't say anything about the codec info, just m2v, which is MPEG2 video...
Old August 26th, 2011, 02:17 AM   #23
New Boot

It says m2v because it is what it is - an mpeg2 stream. So is the Sony XDCAM422 format, no matter what they choose to put around it.
Well, either way it's just meta data - I am embedding no meta data in the resulting .mov file - so you get the "raw" mpeg2 stream in an "empty" .mov container... same same, all the data is there - which is what matters, not the label of the file ;-)
Better meta data handling is on the todo-list though - but to be honest, you probably wont see me embedding a wrongful wrapper tag (Sony XDCAM422 on a Canon XF file) in the resulting .mov ;-)
Old August 26th, 2011, 03:13 PM   #24
New Boot

Oh ok. Thanks for explaining everything to me. Hopefully one day, I will be able to get the XF 100 or 300 and use your program.

Thanks,
Omar
Old August 27th, 2011, 07:38 AM   #25
New Boot

You are welcome. I hope you manage to convince them - they are wonderful cam's ;-)
Rune Espensen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders