Any news on the compatibility of the Axtremex 64GB/128GB CF cards with the XF cams? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old June 26th, 2011, 05:51 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Any news on the compatibility of the Axtremex 64GB/128GB CF cards with the XF cams?

Hi folks,

There were some mentioning of the Axtremex cards from the other threads, I (as well as many others) are very interested in them due to their price. So have any of your guys tried them with success?

Thanks,

Sam
Sam Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2011, 09:54 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Any news on the compatibility of the Axtremex 64GB/128GB CF cards with the XF cam

See the previous thread(s) regarding CF card compatibility. There's a lot more to CF cards than the 'X' rating (eg: 300X, 400X) and the capacity. The *quality* of the controller chip in the card has a dramatic impact on the card's performance. Canon's testing seems to be echoed by those who have bravely tested some of the unapproved cards: many have experienced catastrophic failures. In the video world, "catastrophic" means the camera simply stops recording. For some, that's not a big deal ("TAKE TWO!"), but imagine if that happens in the middle of a wedding ceremony or a live sports event...

I, for one, have invested in the Sandisk Extreme cards, as they're one of the few cards that are listed as 100% compatible.
Old June 27th, 2011, 12:10 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Re: Any news on the compatibility of the Axtremex 64GB/128GB CF cards with the XF cam

Dear Steve and Sam,

Shortly you will be able to purchase Axtremex 128 GB cards that will work with the XF 305.

Axtremex has been working to achieve 100% compatibility with the Canon XF 305, including slow and quick modes. A lot of testing has taken place to ensure this compatibility.

Final testing of the updated cards may occur this week. Some of the latest cards, which have been tested at the Factory, are arriving tomorrow.

Note: Canon has not officially tested these cards due to the tragedy in Japan, where their testing takes place. The testing has been done by third parties with Canon XF 305's.

Last edited by Dan Keaton; June 27th, 2011 at 02:13 PM.
Dan Keaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2011, 05:33 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Dan, thank you for your reply. I actually have the xf 100, will the cards work with that camcorder?

Thank you.
Sam Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2011, 06:20 PM   #5
Major Player

Same codec, same card requirements
Philip Lipetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2011, 06:38 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Dear Sam,

We have not specifically tested the new Axtremex 128 GB on the XF 100 / XF 105.

We expect it to work, but we need to test it.

We expect to test the new cards with XF 305 soon, then we will attempt to find an XF 105 to use for testing.
Old June 28th, 2011, 08:03 AM   #7
Regular Crew

That is great!

I have heard some Hong Kong tech sites mentioning the Axtremex cards, do you know if HK will carry those cards? If not, I can wait until November when I go back to the States. Just wondering.

Thanks!

Sam
Sam Young is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders