Update on paired XF100 and XF300 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old July 9th, 2011, 03:37 PM   #1
Major Player

Update on paired XF100 and XF300

A while ago I posted an example of a dark church recital with the two XFs paired and I said I'd follow up with a more optimally lit example.

When I first started using the XF100 as a backup to the 300 in weddings and events, I figured the 100 would be just b-cam and second ceremony long-shot. But this clip below actually features the XF100 in more than just b-roll places -- can you tell where each one is?

Old July 9th, 2011, 05:17 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Update on paired XF100 and XF300

VERY NICE! No, I can't tell... It would be hard on a web player anyway - even Vimeo HD, I think.

I like the color you got out of the cameras. Did you use anything special or unusual for Custom Picture files? Or did you alter the colors in post? I've found the colors from my 300 a little flat, and I'm not sure how to get the colors to pop in post (Premiere 5.5).

I'm a minister, and I cringed to hear the minister repeat the fairly intimate custom vows - ewwwww... I just use the standard one from our Lutheran hymnal, or on the rare occasion that a couple really wants to write their own, I make them memorize it or read it.

I like the "coming soon" line at the end. Really a nice product you put together!

Larry
Larry Becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2011, 05:58 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks, Larry!

I hear you on the custom vows!

Yeah, you're right about it being harder to tell in compressed web format.
Still, a good sign that it pairs even like this.

The only thing I do is enhance contrast and curves settings in magic bullet but no presets or any tricks like that and nothing to make one camera compensate for the other.

Again, thanks for your response.
Old July 9th, 2011, 06:50 PM   #4
Regular Crew

"Magic bullet" - Ah... heard of that - in fact, just got the free "Quick Looks" package from Adobe for getting/registering AfterEffects 5.5. Tried to install it, not sure it worked, not sure how to access it, couldn't find a serial number to install it... Haven't sorted it out yet.

I'm pretty good at Photoshop (since late '80's!), getting better at Premiere Pro, and an almost complete noobie at AE, so I've got some work to do.

I had tried adjusting levels, etc., in Premiere Pro, but didn't get what I was looking for at all. I might have to sort out Magic Bullet stuff.

Thanks!

Larry
Larry Becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2011, 07:49 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Tim that was very good, the PQ of both cameras is very close if not the same to me, You filmed that literally in my back yard Lol. I had a xf100 and wonder how you like it compared to the 300. I swapped the xf100 out for a xa10 and the Xa10 had a problem with the handle so now I got the g10. I will most likly get the xf100 when they become more available again but do you think the 300 is worth the big jump for the money. I love the PQ from the xa10/g10's and had a hard time setting my 100's PQ up but loved it's manual controls.
Gerald OConnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2012, 04:15 PM   #6
Major Player

Updating this as I've been wondering this same thing. Thinking about adding a 100 to my 305, as I find that trying to match 7D or GH2 footage for stage lighting is just about impossible. The "look" of the clips shown here is very similar for the outdoor shots, If I had to guess I'd guess that the 'crushed blacks' cuts would be the 100? There are clips that seem a bit richer in tonality than others (of course not talking about the b&w clips-grin). I also found that HMC150 footage (AVCHD in general) is too contrasty compared to the 300 mxf. Also can be a bit more to the red in things like wood floors. Very distracting. While all is possible in post, that costs time and money, and our budgets are smaller than big city folks.

Does anyone have some stage lit 100 and 300 on the same film? My idea is to use the 100 as an "establishing" shot that doesn't change for stage performance, and cut to the 300 with it's long tele reach for close ups without having to annoy an audience by crawling around on the floor at the foot of the stages. I really want the colors to look very close to being shot with the same camera.

I'm a bit too far away to rent a 100 or I would do the testing myself.

As an example of what I shoot frequently, you can look at the stage pieces on
https://vimeo.com/mountainstone
Choro 2012, Voiceworks, Ann Savoy on Fiddle Tunes, etc. I'm thinking of the 100 for the establishing shots that I am using the 300 for now.

Thoughts?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders