Mics recommendation fro the XF100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old July 20th, 2011, 12:35 PM   #1
New Boot

Mics recommendation for the XF100

Hi Folks;

I´m a computer graphics artist, have my own studio and do many video work too, for this i need some guidelines on this.

I´m seriously considering the XF100 for video work with my GH2, as you may know some of the weakness area of the DSLR video recording is the absence of proper sound recording and monitoring, the XF100 as A cam and the GH2 as B Cam for the beauty shots, closeups and shallow depth of field shots, but something i need will be a nice quality mic to use on the XF100, as the size of the camera maybe came a issue with large mics.

So, i´m need of some recommendations about what good mic can be used on the XF100, mostly for normal audio recording, interviews in front of the camera, ambient sound, etc, and if the same mic can be used in a pole for better placement much better, i have a Sony wireless mic too, but for some Run and Gun shots i prefer use in camera shotgun.

Some additional info about this camera is welcome too!

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Douglas Grillo; July 20th, 2011 at 02:03 PM.
Douglas Grillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2011, 08:17 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Mics recommendation fro the XF100

I had essentially the same post.......

I have decided to get a Rode NTG-1, partly for its length (but also for decent audio). I will probably also get the B&H special edition Rode NTG-3 (it is black rather than silver, but has the same high-quality audio as the standard NTG-3).
Richard D. George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2011, 08:31 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I've been using the AT875R short shotguns on both the XF100 and XA10 with pretty good results. They're phantom powered so you won't need an internal battery for them.

The only problem is if you have a dead cat (fuzzy windscreen) on the shotgun, you will see some of the hairs in the upper right corner of your frame. I need to find a way to mount the shotgun a little higher on the shockmount.

The diameter of the AT875s were a bit too small for the Canon shockmounts, so a trip to the local hardware store was required. Put 3 O-rings (#15 O-Ring 1" O.D. x 3/4" I.D. x 1/8") on the end of the mics and they fit the XF100 and XA10 shockmounts nice and snug now
Maui, Hawaii
Todd Mizomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2011, 08:38 PM   #4
Regular Crew

O Rings on shotgun mic

Todd,

Thanks for the O ring suggestion on the shotgun mic. I had been thinking about posting a question about this but felt a little dumb doing it.

I had the same problem with my XF300. I even bought a Rode extender to mount in the on-camera holder, and it's STILL too narrow. Canon's mounts are looking for something a bit thicker. I actually ruined a few shots by having the mic pivot or slide into frame and I didn't notice it. Ugh...

I REALLY didn't want to resort to using gaffer's tape or duct tape or something that would gum up the equpment - the O ring idea should work well.

Larry
Larry Becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2011, 08:10 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I too use the AT875R with the XF100 when I need better sound, wonderful mic, used it with my old JVC HM100 as well. Orings for the stock XF mount would look the most non-ghetto. :)
Sam Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2011, 12:47 PM   #6
Regular Crew

When you open up the Canon shockmount you'll see several rubber ribs inside. I just position the 3 O rings so that they line up inbetween the ribs. When the shockmount is closed and the screw is tightened, you can't even tell it's there.
Maui, Hawaii
Todd Mizomi is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders