XF-300: How not to lose the lens cap? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old August 23rd, 2011, 12:51 PM   #1
Trustee

XF-300: How not to lose the lens cap?

Just received my XF-300 today. What have you done to avoid losing the lens cap, since it is not built in like the Z1 or attached to the grip like the older 150/170 Sonys.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2011, 01:26 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: XF-300: How not to lose the lens cap?

Ha... just like with my Canon SLR lens caps... stick it in my left front pocket until I'm done with it, then put it back on.

I wondered that, too. My little Sony HD Handicam has an auto closing cover. Nice, until they start sticking. Then a pain.

Larry
Larry Becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2011, 02:44 PM   #3
Regular Crew

On my XF100 I use the lens cap from my GL 2, It has a lanyard & the cap has a clip that attaches to the hand strap.
Regards
Mike
Old August 23rd, 2011, 05:43 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I use the lens cap for when the camera is in the bag. When I take it out of the bag, the cap comes off and is left in the bag for when I return. Otherwise front left pocket. Consistency pays off whatever scheme you use.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2011, 05:49 PM   #5
Trustee

People laugh at the amount of Velcro on my gear (serving various purposes) but guess what...I have never lost a lens cap!! Ha ha!
Old August 24th, 2011, 06:04 AM   #6
Regular Crew

First what i do, is that i get cheap lenscaps from ebay.... for around 4 €
the original i always let it @ home.
Markus Oginero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2011, 11:27 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I always expect to lose it, but plan for recovery. :-)

Best thing I did the past two years was get a Brother p-touch (TZ tape) label maker and label EVERYTHING I own and might lose, with my name, phone, email. You can make nice labels on different color backgrounds that are laminated and waterproof and really stand up.

Since then I haven't lost anything. Except the eyecup on my 1D MK IV and -- are those ever hard to replace...! But it did not have a label on it, so to be expected. ;-)

Seriously, in the past, I have accidentally left lenses and wireless audio gear behind before. Some honest person always found it, but then didn't know who to return it to. Now they do.

As for the lens cap, I have considered velcro (TM), I mean hook-and-loop fastener, but right now I just take it off and leave it in the camera bag right away.

Brett
Brett Delmage is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders