XF105 vs XF300 for videojournalism - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old September 25th, 2011, 04:23 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: XF105 vs XF300 for videojournalism

And you can also buy a wide angle lens from canon made for the xf, it turns the stock 30mm to 24mm, while numerically it does seem like a huge difference, people who own the wide angle lens says it does. I will buy one as soon as I return to hong kong. The canon wide angle lens comes with a big lens hood too, which I have never seen with other wide angle adapters, it looks awesome with it on. A good accessory to have if you shoot anything indoors.

Another great thing is the canon xf already has a useable built in mic, so if you want to record ambient sounds, or even voice, it can pass as okay. I barely carry my audio technical atr875 shotgun mic anymore, even though I should.

For batteries, search for "wasabi power batteries for xf 100" in amazon, they are amazing batteries that lasts hours, and only costs 32usd. I have three of them and they work flawlessly. The only thing is that the non oem batteries won't give you the estimated life left in minutes, but it will still display the battery meter, so it is no big deal. No need to pay hundreds for an canon branded battery.

In Kabul, you may want to think about getting some nd filters if you dont already have them for your dslr. the built in nd filter isn't a mechanical filter, rather it just closes the aperture.

Last thing, make sure the cf cards you use are approved by canons cf card list for xf camcorders. Some people report getting an error message with cheaper and slow cf cards.
Sam Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2011, 06:07 PM   #17
Trustee

Re: XF105 vs XF300 for videojournalism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elissa Bogos View Post
Robert, would you mind sharing how you set up the custom profile on the MKII to match the XF100 (or vice versa)?
Well, since I'm not the 5D or 100 owner, I dont have the exact settings but I can tell you we started with the Phillip Bloom settings for the 5D which were a big help. Im sure you can find them posted here somewhere. I'm also curious to try the Technicolor profile. As for the 100, we used the Cine V setting. I prefer shooting a bit flat and tweaking in post. A word of caution, the 5D footage will look terrible if you're not used to shooting that way and grading later. Once you get used to it, matching cameras will be much easier.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders