Benefits of slow motion feature? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old November 29th, 2011, 02:52 PM   #1
New Boot

Benefits of slow motion feature?

I searched a bit and could not find my answer, this is a new feature to me so I am curious about it a bit. I have an XF300.

What is the benefit to activating and recording via the slow motion feature on the camera, versus just filming in standard 60fps and applying slow motion to that in post?

Is there a difference or benefit to one way over the other?

Thanks guys, sorry if its a bit of a novice question.
Will Gentile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2011, 04:00 PM   #2
New Boot

Re: Benefits of slow motion feature?

It just allows you to playback your footage in camera at a normal rate. Very useful if you're trying to get a specific effect.

You can also record at different frame rates like 48p for a 1/2 speed slow motion
John Gardiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2011, 04:10 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Far better selection and control doing it in post.

Cheers.
Old November 29th, 2011, 04:40 PM   #4
Major Player

You can achieve a far better results using the in-camera slow motion than you can in post and it is a lot faster than having to render it out. And Yes you can review immediately in the LCD :).

I use FCS and use Motion Optical Flow for slow motion and although it is excellent it takes time. With the trials I have done over the last couple of days I have been very impressed with the XF300 Slow Motion, I suppose the trick is to use it when you "need to" and remember to turn it off to go back to normal shooting.
Old November 29th, 2011, 05:12 PM   #5
New Boot

thanks guys, that sheds some light on it. appreciated
Will Gentile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2011, 06:07 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan McCormick View Post
You can achieve a far better results using the in-camera slow motion than you can in post and it is a lot faster than having to render it out. And Yes you can review immediately in the LCD :).

I use FCS and use Motion Optical Flow for slow motion and although it is excellent it takes time. With the trials I have done over the last couple of days I have been very impressed with the XF300 Slow Motion, I suppose the trick is to use it when you "need to" and remember to turn it off to go back to normal shooting.
If you know that you will be wanting to slow the footage down then shooting at 50/60fps then conforming in Cinema Tools to whatever frame rate delivers the required slow down takes next to no time (it just flips some bits in the file header).
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders