XF300 Zoom at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old December 10th, 2011, 01:11 AM   #1
Major Player

XF300 Zoom

I was looking at the XF300 today and noticed that the zoom does not appear to be mechanical but run by some kind of a servo, the result being a lag, not a big one, but it seemed dramatically different from my Sony Z7 lens which seems much more precise. I like the camera, but that seemed kind of a deal breaker. Is this a setting issue, or is that the way the camera operates? Any one have experience with this?

Jack Hubbard
Jack D. Hubbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2011, 04:55 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: XF300 Zoom

I think the "lag" is something you get used to - it isn't very big at all. There are two active zoom controls on the XF300 (well, thrree, but the lens ring and rocker can't be active at the same time). I have the rocker on the handgrip set for faster zooming and the one on top of the camera set for slower, more precise zooming. I think it's pretty cool - but I agree that fly-by-wire takes a bit of getting used to.

Larry
Larry Becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2011, 11:31 AM   #3
Trustee

If you start the zoom neither fully in or out, there is no lag or take-up...
Old December 18th, 2011, 11:44 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Have to say I haven't really noticed any lag on mine.
Syeed Ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2011, 10:05 PM   #5
Major Player

Thanks for the input, guys. Got the XF300. Amazing images. At 50 mbs, they are beautiful, but take up lots of video space. Trying the lower rates now. Any thoughts?
Jack D. Hubbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2011, 06:30 AM   #6
Vortex Media

Jack,

I guess it depends on what you are shooting, but I would never even consider shooting at lower rates just to save a little storage space. Why buy a very nice camera and then hobble it? Memory cards and hard drives are amazingly cheap these days, so cost should not be a concern. My philosophy is simple: If it's worth shooting, it's worth shooting with the best possible settings your camera is capable of. I have never once come home from a shoot and regretted not shooting with the best settings. :-)
That's my thoughts.

Mastering the Canon XF305/300 Camcorders training DVD
Old January 1st, 2012, 01:12 PM   #7
Major Player

Many thanks, Doug. I agree. Dealing with the larger files seems to provide the same challenge as you have with a 7D but the result will be well worth it.
Regards,

Jack
Jack D. Hubbard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders