XF300/305 - Colour Settings at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old December 22nd, 2011, 07:27 AM   #1
Regular Crew

XF300/305 - Colour Settings

Had the camera for a few months now, and really not been happy with the colour settings I've been using.

I did get a colour setting from this forum before - but it was absolutely hellish - The purples/magentas/reds were well over the top - indoors, people looked like Oompah Loompahs!!! I wanted a setting similar to what I had on my previous camera - that kicked all the colours up slightly and crushed the blacks - giving more of that SLR look. I just haven't found that, and I don't know if anyone here has found settings that they would be happy to share?

Also, going through footage now that I shot 2 months ago - I've found the footage to be quite overexposed at times, even when I've been sure that I have viewed & filmed it using the eyepiece and not the LCD screen.
(I never used to use Zebras, but will have to)

I'd be extremely grateful if anyone can help advise me on this, as I've yet to fall in love with this camera!
Martin Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2011, 04:10 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: XF300/305 - Colour Settings

Martin, I have had the XF300 for a month now (used to have the XLH1A) and have used it on one paying job so far.

I found it a challenge, especially low light issues on the day (a wedding mind you so gun and run sort of stuff) but the results once I got back to editing were mixed initially.

1. I found I had noise on my inside shots although I did not see anything in the LCD.
2. The colours were very nice and no CP was used as far as I remember.
3. I use the zebras and exposure was pretty damn good straight out of the can.

In editing I learned the following:

A - Neato was my best friend to get rid of the noise and one of my colleagues was happy to remove the noise with pure colour grading (Neato saved me the hassle) although render times were lengthy but well worth it.

B - I did some Colour grading but I always do - saying that once I have a play around with the CP settings that will be reduced in the future I am sure.

C - Compared to previous shoots I found the exposure to be a lot closer to the highs and lows and even better I could adjust the white and black levels a lot more than I used to with HDV without being too obvious. I filmed 35mbps btw and I am sure 50mbps would be even more forgiving.

Initially I was a bit disappointed when I downloaded but now I am very, very happy indeed after watching the wedding edit 1st pass.

So, stick at it and I am sure you will achieve some very nice results - will have to get out myself to get some more practice in.

Alan
Old December 23rd, 2011, 04:54 AM   #3
Regular Crew

thanks for the reply Alan,

yes - you picked up on one thing there - the grain not showing on the viewfinder, and some of the results I've had have been very poor, one just recently which needs edited - so will probably have to apply some sort of filter to it.

The exposure issue for me just keeps popping up. I'm going to have to do some experiments for next season's filming and double check whether it's the LCD or the eyepiece viewfinder that I'm using when I tend to overexpose. I'm also going to start using the Zebras more often - always found them a distraction before!

I had great colour preset with my previous Canon, so I'm determined to find something similar.

Cheers
Martin Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2011, 05:11 AM   #4
Major Player

"I'm also going to start using the Zebras more often - always found them a distraction before!"

If you set just one of them to say 100% and turn the other off then you will always see when you are going over exposed and it will alert you "only" when that happens.

A tip given on this forum may help with seeing noise - use the magnify button when setting up a shot as that will give you and me a better chance of seeing it. Pretty obvious really but a classic answer.

I am sure you will find a colour preset to meet your needs :)
Old December 23rd, 2011, 04:35 PM   #5
Old Boot

I've moved more onto the Waveforms now, away from Zebras. I can "feel" more that which is correct for my look, using them.

I'm very happy with my colour settings. WB and dialling-in the Kelvin's.

Go see this tutorial, been great to learn from these chaps.

http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resou...f_scopes.shtml

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2011, 01:32 AM   #6
Major Player

Good point Grazie but I find when I film weddings that the zebras are the best when on the "quick" - I would imagine they would be great on corporates or when time is not an issue (thinking about too much without a cluttered LCD). I did try it on my last but the LCD was too cluttered, maybe when I have done a few shoots!

One thing I have found is to trust the waveforms more in post so I will check out the XF300 waveforms.

Alan
Old December 24th, 2011, 05:48 AM   #7
Old Boot

When I did my last corporate event, with a range of ages, from the very young to the old with a mixed and changing lighting scenarios, it was the waves that got me to a level of opportunity that the Zebras could never.

G
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2011, 06:07 AM   #8
Major Player

Good to hear Grazie, I will endeavour to try it out more

Alan
Old January 13th, 2012, 10:54 PM   #9
Major Player

Doug Jensen (who posts a lot over on the Sony EX forum) has some excellent ideas on these issues in his three part DVD on "Mastering the Canon XF305 & XF300 Cameras". I feel a bit bad about sharing any of his CF file recommendations as he has spent the time to put them into his video. But I highly recommend that video for the small price you pay compared to the camera price. He's done an excellent job. It's helped my shooting on this quite a bit.
Old January 14th, 2012, 11:20 AM   #10
Regular Crew

I've been trying various settings for a few months shooting nature & have not been thrilled with any CP in camera or purchased settings. It's really important to get the correct realistic greens and blues especially with some of our water fowl.

Yesterday I did a several hour action packed shoot in overcast weather with the CP setting to "OFF". This is a huge improvement with the footage showing improved clarity and colors very close to what I was looking at, and more closely matching my 7D. I can still see a very small need to tweak the footage in Curves just like a photograph to make it pop, but I'm really happy with the improvement. The footage now has a more HD look without being overdone.

This is all very subjective of course and depends on the eye of the beholder, but I bring this forward as a suggestion not to discount the very basic camera performance.

Regards,
Doug.
Doug Bailey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders