XF Utility and Premiere Pro 5.5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old February 3rd, 2012, 04:31 PM   #1
Regular Crew

XF Utility and Premiere Pro 5.5

I just installed Premiere Pro 5.5. Can I import XF100 footage directly into PP? If so, is there any need or benefit to also install Canon XF Utility?

Thanks,

Len
Len Rosenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2012, 08:49 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: XF Utility and Premiere Pro 5.5

With Windows? Use the XF utility to extract the clips to a folder (<Edit><Export to MXF>), and then import into PP 5.5 from that folder.
Charles W. Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2012, 09:21 AM   #3
Wrangler

The Canon XF software has other features you may want, such as metadata manipulation and creating memos, but it is not needed for a straight import to a PPro project.

While you could import directly off the card, my usual workflow is to copy the CF card to a folder on my editing system on a USB3 port while I'm doing other things, like putting gear away after the shoot. A full 64GB card just takes a few minutes.

From there, I just do a File >> Import and import all of the folders of MXF files. PPro won't recognize the other supporting file types -- like .CIF and .XML -- and will give you an error box reminding you it can't import those files, which the Canon utility uses but PPro doesn't. All you need in PPro is the MXF files.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2012, 09:34 AM   #4
New Boot

Most of the time i just copy the files to my computer. I import them like Pete is describing above. The XF Utility is lagging so much that it takes ages to select the files and move them to a virtual bin.

Maybe the lagging is caused by the USB2 port that can't handle the data fast enough, but it pretty annoying.
Edsard Keuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2012, 10:48 AM   #5
Trustee

Is the USB 3 card reader and port) that much faster than USB 2.0. I am thinking of installing a USB 3 pci card but need to know if it will make a big difference.

ps. I also import XF files directly into PP 5.5 and I mix them with Sony EX files on the same timeline, no problem. Multicamera setup
Old February 4th, 2012, 11:52 AM   #6
Regular Crew

USB3 is a DEFINITE MUST for these files! HUGE time savings. In theory it's 10x faster. In practice, I found it maybe 4x faster - but that's still huge!

Last year I bought a laptop for use in the field with a Core-i7 chip, Nvidia graphics card, full HD LED screen and USB3 - a pricey combination, but it really makes it all useable in a laptop. I have a USB3 card reader (Delkin) and a USB 3 3TB external drive that I can use while travelling or with my desktop.

On my desktop, I had added a SII USB3 pci card and it really worked well. I had some issues with the motherboard (it could manage only 12gb RAM) and my main program drives were getting twitchy (older SSDs in a Raid-0 array - not a good idea). I think having USB3 onboard is better, but the pci card worked well, too.

I also use the Canon XF utility and Premiere Pro 5.5 as well, and use the Canon utility to create the virtual drives, copy the files to the pc, and make a backup of the files. It really doesn't take that long, and I have the space to do it... hard drive space is pretty cheap.

Larry
Larry Becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2012, 03:28 PM   #7
Wrangler

Assuming that I'm copying to a sufficiently fast drive/array (your copy won't go any faster than the slowest component), I get the full advertised 90MB/sec off a Sandisk Extreme Pro card using a Lexar USB3 reader. Definitely worth it.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2012, 05:57 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles W. Hull View Post
With Windows? Use the XF utility to extract the clips to a folder (<Edit><Export to MXF>), and then import into PP 5.5 from that folder.
This is the best way to use it, specially if you shot continuous 20-30 minutes and direct import from card or hard drive you are in trouble. It repeated files in your import folder. I use Premier CS5.5 & Avid MC6 as Charles mention method is the way.

You can selected video viewing and export to mxf folder and imported to Premier CS5.5 or Avid MC6.

A new canon utility & plugin Avid MC6 Canon U.S.A. : Support & Drivers : XF300
Ras Dashn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2012, 11:53 PM   #9
Major Player

I export to mxf, using the canon utility, which strips the folders so i get just one file per shot, rather than a folder per shot. Works great with Pr. While it's taken me a few weeks on Lynda.com & Adobe to get up to speed, i love what Premiere and photoshop is doing for my workflow. A joy to edit in. Best of fcp and no transcoding. And stable. No crashes.
Old February 6th, 2012, 05:26 AM   #10
Regular Crew

First create folder and give name in any your internal hard drive, Edit -> Export to MXF-> either selected file or all files inside CF card export to your created folder. It is simple.

Canon XF Utility is important.
Ras Dashn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2012, 06:41 AM   #11
Trustee

Thank you for the replies regarding USB 3.0 - I can see a debit on my credit card coming this way.
Old February 9th, 2012, 12:31 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Which way are you going to go to add it?

When I added the USB 3 pci card, I went through a couple of them before I got one to work right. I tried the no-name brand from Fry's and no luck. Then I found one from SII and it worked well.

I re-edited my above post and it wasn't clear from what I ended up posting, but I did rebuild my pc with a new motherboard from EVGA - it can handle 24 gigs of ram, SATA 3 (6mbs) and USB 3. Everything is more stable now - it helps that I also upgraded my graphics card (EVGA Nvidia 580) and SSD program drive (Samsung 512gb).

So, are you adding in a card?

Larry
Larry Becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2012, 03:21 AM   #13
Trustee

Thank you Larry,

I think I will re-build my computer with a new motherboard (USB3 built in) together with a new AMD Bulldozer processor and 16gb of DDR3 RAM. The other components are OK - nVidia 470, hard drives etc.

Thanks for all the advice

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders