How will Canon's Cinema EOS affect their video camera line? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old April 17th, 2012, 11:22 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: How will Canon's Cinema EOS affect their video camera line?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Bergstein View Post
I agree w/Robert & Tim's thoughts. I still find the lack of true audio on dslr'sand the much better control of the camera means the xf305 is the a cam. (I also upgraded from hmc150, which was a nice camera). It's just a professional tool designed to do the job.
I'm definitely not wanting to use a DSLR primarily, I was more wondering how something like the C300/C500 will affect the video camera lineup from Canon. I use a 7D now but it's just something to keep shooting with until I save up for the XF300. I am definitely still a strong supporter of the dedicated video camera but was wondering how mixing and matching with their DSLRs would be.
Old April 17th, 2012, 01:33 PM   #17
Inner Circle

I think these two animals are very separate in Canon's eyes. The video division is not connected with the stills division. So I do not think any movement in either camp will effect each other much.

As far as working with DSLRs and the XF300. Well, color wise I do not think there is much of a match. For me, this is the main reason I do not use the 5D or 7D for video. The colors are RGB (not YUV) and there is a baked in color cast and contrast. The XF300 is YUV and allows one to dial in any look you want with really accurate colors.

I am sure you can get it close in post but the longer I do this stuff the more I want proprer, accurate color from the camera and only enhance in post, not bend. It all comes down to how much you want to spend as the colors are more accurate with the price going up!
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2012, 02:09 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Polster View Post
I think these two animals are very separate in Canon's eyes. The video division is not connected with the stills division. So I do not think any movement in either camp will effect each other much.
I wasn't aware the C300/C500 were still cameras at all...I thought they were purely video cameras
Old April 17th, 2012, 03:22 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Sorry, mixing DSLR, Cinema and Video divisions. I do not know how closely the Cinema and Video division work or do not work together.

You asked how DSLR and Video cameras mixed together though.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2012, 03:55 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Polster View Post
Sorry, mixing DSLR, Cinema and Video divisions. I do not know how closely the Cinema and Video division work or do not work together.

You asked how DSLR and Video cameras mixed together though.
Yeah, sorry. I have this ADD tendency where I jump from topic to topic a lot...I guess that question was for Robert a while back since I noticed he used DSLRs with his XF300

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders