Output Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old June 12th, 2012, 05:18 PM   #1
Major Player

Output Question

I'm looking into getting an XF series camera. Most of the work that I currently do is as a travelling ENG shooter for the Cleveland Indians. That being said, being able to hook the camera up to a production truck with a coax is a necessity. Is it possible to get clean video out of the HD-SDI output or will it have characters and such on it? Does it send out full 1080 video or does it downgrade to 720? Also, I would need to be able to hook up an on camera light and also a wireless receiver at the same time. Is it possible to do this without using any kind of a rail system? Thanks in advance for the help.

Mark
Mark Koha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2012, 09:55 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Output Question

Lemme whip out my trusty manual...

If you want HD-SDI, you'll need the XF305. The XF300 doesn't have HD-SDI. The manual lists the output as SMPTE 292M, Video(1080i/720P) embedded audio, timecode (VITC/LTC)

The onscreen displays to the HD-SDI are switchable, On or Off.

The camera has a standard accessory shoe listed specifically as suitable for on-camera lights, plus a 1/4-20 threaded hole in the top handle for mounting "other" accessories. It doesn't look like it would be too difficult to mount a wireless receiver using the threaded hole and a light using the accessory shoe at the same time.

That said, you might consider getting a shoulder mount. While it's possible to hand-hold the camera without one, it gets sorta heavy in the long run, as it's a "shorty" with no rear shoulder pad and you end up carrying the entire weight on your arms. Add some lights and a receiver, and you might not need a gym membership if you shoot lots of footage.

The owner's manual is available for download from Canon. It covers just about anything you want to ask.

Hope that helps.

Martin
Old June 13th, 2012, 05:07 PM   #3
Major Player

Here's a question. I also have a Rebel T3i. If I shoot video on that, do you think I could play it back with an XF? The easiest solution would be if there was a card reader that had a coax out on it but I have yet to find one.
Mark Koha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2012, 04:52 AM   #4
Major Player

Not sure what you mean by "play it back on a T3I."

If you mean swapping the card into an XF300, pretty much forget it. The T3I records in H.264 format, not the native XF format.

Martin

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders