How does Premiere Pro handle XF clips that span cards? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old June 18th, 2012, 08:17 AM   #1
Inner Circle

How does Premiere Pro handle XF clips that span cards?

We have had an XF305 for quite some time now but oddly haven't noticed this issue before. I recorded a long clip that spanned from one card onto the other. I have used XF Utility to backup the cards each to a separate folder. When I browse in XF Utility I can see that there is an icon on the thumbnail of the last clip on one card & the first clip on the next indicating that they spanned across the two cards but I when I browse in Premiere it does not see it as one clip nor does it import it as one clip into the project. Am I doing something wrong or does Premiere Pro not handle this situation?
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2012, 09:21 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: How does Premiere Pro handle XF clips that span cards?

If you update Canon XF Utility to V1.2.1 you can select both end & begin clips. Selected clip export to MXF give name to clip if you want you get one file. I like XF Utility V1.2.1 has many options.
It is possible import last & begin clips separet to Premier and insert to timeline. It works.
Ras Dashn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2012, 10:19 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Barker View Post
I have used XF Utility to backup the cards each to a separate folder. When I browse in XF Utility I can see that there is an icon on the thumbnail of the last clip on one card & the first clip on the next indicating that they spanned across the two cards but I when I browse in Premiere it does not see it as one clip nor does it import it as one clip into the project.
It probably would do what you want if you had put it all in one folder. But I don't think PPro's media browser is smart enough to span directories as well as span clips.

So, failing that, just import them separately and manually put the clips, in order, on the timeline. This worked in the past on AVCHD clips for me (until I learned to put it all in one folder and let media browser reassemble the spanned clips instead of me doing it manually ;-). Your CODEC should be even easier.
Bruce Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 12:40 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I have only used XF Utility to backup the CF cards but took some time yesterday to read the manual so understand a little more the best way to use it. BTW the latest version is 1.3.

Export to MXF gives one enormous MXF file. In the case of my clips that spanned the card it was 25GB. The better alternative for my workflow is using virtual media (which is just the directory file structure on hard disk like on the CF cards). I can take the two cards that I shot at the wedding & copy the clips to a single new virtual media structure.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders