Wanting to spend a couple of days with someone that has a XF300 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old July 14th, 2012, 09:58 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Wanting to spend a couple of days with someone that has a XF300

I'm not sure how to even get this started except to say "I hate not totally understanding my Xf300"...lol
Is there anyone out there that would be willing to let me come tag along (I actually am a very good cameraman) to ask questions and learn about my camera. If you are looking for a second camera on a job I'd be more than willing to come be your second so I can learn more about this camera.
I started with a GL2, moved to a XL2, then an XH-A1, then an A1s, and now to the XF300, and this one has me baffled on some of the indepth menu items, custom picture presets, and I guess just indepth "tweaking".
I know this is a strange request, but with no where to turn, I've turned to the only people that seem to understand my pain. So if anyone is willing to help, please let me know, and thanks again for all your help thus far. (and FYI, I do have Doug Jensen's DVDs)
Steve Porchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2012, 10:13 PM   #2
Old Boot

Re: Wanting to spend a couple of days with someone that has a XF300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Porchet View Post
I'm not sure how to even get this started except to say "I hate not totally understanding my Xf300"...lol
Woah! You've had all those cameras? You've also got the DVD. And you're baffled? O...K... if you were anywhere near London UK, I'd say come on down. Why? 'cos I truly believe I could learn from you.

I had cut my teeth on my still trusty ole XM2. Still makes great pictures. Getting to HD through the XF300 just seemed so natural to me, and of course the output is stunningly engaging. My strongest wish for you is to get out there, shoot, come here and ask questions and IF the occasion should arise that you can buddy-up with someone near to you, then great. But in the meantime, I've found this forum, SKYPE and researching on the NET has given me enough confidence to go solo. But always willing to learn.

Actually, where have those great Canon Tutorials that were captured in a motorcycle Shop? They appear to have .. . .er . . . disappeared? I did learn heaps from them.

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2012, 02:25 PM   #3
Regular Crew

LOL... I guess I should have clarified what I was looking for.
I am one of those guys that likes to understand everything I can about my equipment, and the XF300 has A LOT more menu items and fine tuning settings than the other cameras I've owned.... So that's what I was refering to I guess. If there are little tweaks that makes my videoing life easier then I am all about learning.
I had the opportunity this past weekend to talk to Brian C. Weed, and picking his brain helped me a lot also. One think was nice to learn, it was nice hearing that I'm not the only person trying to figure things out. He and I both laughed at how we came to figuring little tweaks and settings out, different paths, but we both got to the same place. And that's why I was asking about spending some time with someone (or someones) to just kick things around. I know there are forums and youtube but "hands on" and seeing it in person is generally the best way for me to understand it better.

So, with that said, I'll bet there are plenty of videographers out there that understand what I am saying and would like to learn in a group workshop type of setting. We all can learn something from others. So if anyone has any ideas on this let's put our minds together and see what we can create. Heck, with a bunch of us together I bet we could create a great way to network too.
Old July 18th, 2012, 03:30 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:

Actually, where have those great Canon Tutorials that were captured in a motorcycle Shop? They appear to have .. . .er . . . disappeared? I did learn heaps from them.

Grazie
Have a look here Grazie "http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/galleries/galleries/tutorials/xf_tutorials.shtml"
Old July 18th, 2012, 09:39 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan McCormick View Post
Have a look here Grazie "http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/galleries/galleries/tutorials/xf_tutorials.shtml"
ALAN, that is exactly what I've been looking for, thank you! If anyone knows any more of these types of videos, please post them.
Old July 18th, 2012, 11:09 PM   #6
Old Boot

Thanks Alan! - I'd been looking for months to return to those Tutorials. I just went back and recognised just how much had gone over my head when I first played 'em. But now it's a case as to just what I could have done better.

I always capture "flat", just going with NDs, Pola and my iris and WB. But having revisited the CP options for KNEE (whites) and SETUP (black levels?), I may just have gotten some confidence to give it a go.

Alan, again, thank you.

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders