Zoom H4n at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old November 1st, 2012, 10:46 AM   #1
Major Player

Zoom H4n

I'm wondering about buying a Zoom H4n audio recorder for use with my Canon 1Dx but I was wondering how much of an improvement it is over the onboard audio (via xlr mic input) of the XF300 and XF100? I will be using a Rode NTG2 mic.

For what I have in mind I could just use the XF cameras to record the audio track and then sync it to the 1Dx footage or I could get the H4n and be covered for both. Over here they are about £250 so not a massive outlay in the grand scheme of things.

Any thoughts?

Andy
Andy Solaini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2013, 10:07 PM   #2
New Boot

Re: Zoom H4n

Hi Andy.

In my personal experience, I can answer your question with another question: What do you use it for? The xf100 does not record bad audio with an external mic (it does with the internal mic) and in my opinion, you can record great audio with the internal mics on the zoom, but gotta be careful where and how to place them because they are very sensitive and catch every single tap with your finger.

For an unknown reason my external mic does a "not as good" job on the zoom as the internal mics, so as part of my workflow I record audio on the x100 with an MKE600 mic and Record a backup with the zoom and their own mics, then I take both in post and mix the four channels and it works good for me for most of the live events I do.

The zoom and a shotgung could be better if you are recording on a pole, I just haven't tried that yet.
Rodolfo Pena is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders