Viewing MXF video files on the PC - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old October 24th, 2013, 02:18 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: Viewing MXF video files on the PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles W. Hull View Post
I finally got around to loading Windows 8 on one of my computers (8.1, standard version, not Pro) and Media Player definitely won't play MXF files. Is there something I'm missing?
Never worked for me. Try VLC player.
Old October 24th, 2013, 06:19 PM   #17
Major Player

I recently upgraded to a Sony PMW 200 which outputs *.MXF format files, i'd never seen these before, coming from AVCHD, but running Windows 8 VLC Player handles these files at least from a Sony, but I would presume it would play any of that format.
Old October 25th, 2013, 09:04 PM   #18
Major Player

I really like XF Utility. I use it to archive all my footage. Two things I especially like - as I experiment with tweaking my personal CF settings files, I can see every detail of my settings in the Utility for any clip ever shot.

Second, I love the Virtual Media option. This lets me create the equivalent of a full memory card structure on my hard drive but I can name it whatever I want and copy into it whatever I want. I do this rather than archiving entire memory cards. I just create a Virtual Media, name it for the event filmed, and I save space by not including clips that I know are not needed. Or I can put clips from one card into multiple collections for archiving.

Plus, if you don't have any other way to preview clips, XF Utility will of course play them.
(I know this is a PC-oriented thread, but hamburgpromedia.com has a free Mac-only player - MXF4mac.)
David Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2013, 11:52 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dixon View Post
I really like XF Utility.
Yes, I like the XF utility and use it all the time. But I had remembered the post about Windows 8 and was curious if Media Player could view MXF. I did download the Sony player based on Roy Feldman's suggestion, and it is pretty handy for just clicking and viewing MXF files.
Charles W. Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2013, 03:33 AM   #20
Regular Crew

My windows media player (8.1) plays the canon MXF files just fine. A warning comes and says it may not but allows turning off the warning and it will play, that said I prefer the Sony viewer as it allows a bit more control
Roy Feldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2013, 08:05 AM   #21
Major Player

You can also view them in the Bridge.
Old January 13th, 2014, 08:11 AM   #22
Tourist

Windows 8.1 - In both my installations (PC & laptop) Windows Media Player plays them perfectly, as does Media Player Classic. Media Player Classic also shows thumbnails in folders.
William Gye is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders