Flashing/gray custom white balance at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old February 5th, 2013, 02:47 PM   #1
New Boot

Flashing/gray custom white balance

Recently I took my XF 105 & XF 305 on a shoot in a concert setting. The stage was lit primarily in an amber color (i.e, people looked reddish).

I held up my large white reflector under the stage lights, and did the custom white balance on both cameras. The both came up with 2000K; the 105 continue flashing the color temp at a slow speed, and the 305 showed it in gray.

According to the manuals: "Very rarely and depending on the light source, the (flower icon) may keep flashing (it will change to a slow flashing)." That's not very helpful as to what this means.

I assume it's trying to tell me something about the quality of the light - i.e, it's probably outside the range of what would be considered "warm" or something?

It wasn't a problem; the footage came out beautiful, but I'm just curious as to why it was doing that.
Steve Hontz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2013, 07:17 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Flashing/gray custom white balance

I think it means that it hasn't quite locked onto what it thinks is the right setting - maybe an out of range thing - but the manual does say the 'the results will still be better than Auto WB. Sounds like your experience bears that out.

Out of interest, what gain did you have to use? I've not yet used my 300 with a lit stage, and the low light situations were I have used it, were really quite noisy. I'd guess I was shooting in light rather lower than your concert setting though.
Old February 6th, 2013, 06:52 PM   #3
New Boot

Re: Flashing/gray custom white balance

My XF 105 was running at 12db gain, at F 3.7 on a wide shot, and my XF 305 was running at 18db at F 3.7 on a medium shot.
Steve Hontz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders