Shoulder mount for XF 300/305? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old April 22nd, 2013, 12:50 PM   #1
New Boot

Shoulder mount for XF 300/305?

Does anyone have a shoulder mount for the XF300/305 that they like? Digital Juice has a small one for $100, and I've seen a IKAN stealth model on B&H for $620, and a Cinevate one for $2700. So, obviously there's a wide range. I'm not looking for anything too fancy - just want to make it comfortable hand-holding the XF, and it would be nice if it could collapse down for easy transport.
Steve Hontz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2013, 09:25 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Shoulder mount for XF 300/305?

Hi Steve,

I currently own an XF300, but have not needed a shoulder brace for it. I've occasionally used it hand-held, but never for any longer than an hour or so at most.

With that said, check out Westside AV, one of our sponsors:

Canon 300 Canon 305

Best,
Old April 22nd, 2013, 10:22 PM   #3
Major Player

Yes, I've got the Westside AV unit. I agree that the XF doesn't always need a shoulder mount, but the folks at Westside have a nice unit you can mount a lot of extras to, like your wireless receiver.

I also have a DVtec multirig. It's a very flexible and extremely portable handheld and shoulder mount. I would recommend at least looking at their video of how it's used. I have used it on some very long shoots and found it is really good to have in a crowd, where I can fold up the handles and carry it at waist level through a large crowd.
http://www.dvtec.tv/ some good videos of them in use and setup.

Last edited by Al Bergstein; April 23rd, 2013 at 11:18 AM.
Al Bergstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2013, 03:18 PM   #4
Major Player

I have the Tilta T03 Base Plate for my XF300, but I don't have the Hand Grips, and I sometimes find it difficult to keep the camera vertical. I also find that with the QR plate, from my Manfrotto 516, attached to the base plate, it partially covers the shoulder mount when fitted to the base plate. I could get round this by not using the location dowel on the QR plate and moving it forward.

I will get the hand grips sometime soon, which I am sure will make the rig far more stable.

The Tilta kit is extremely well made, and very reasonably priced.

TILTA

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders