Any XF300 replacement rumours? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old June 8th, 2013, 09:53 AM   #1
Major Player

Any XF300 replacement rumours?

Are there any rumours of a replacement for the XF300/305 cameras? I'm evaluating my camera needs and while a C300 would be excellent a new XF300 with better low light performance would be even better. I just wondered if there was likely to be a replacement any time in the next year or two.
Andy Solaini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2013, 08:16 PM   #2
Unregistered Guest

Re: Any XF300 replacement rumours?

It looks like Canon is going to milk the XF300/305 as long as possible. They're already well over three years old, still use older still CF memory, and don't do 1080p 60. It is about time for an upgrade, 1/2" sensors would be nice too.
Old June 8th, 2013, 08:47 PM   #3
Regular Crew

This past week, all of the XF series cameras have been out of stock on B&H's site.
I've been watching prices for a while, and that's the first time I've seen that.

Maybe an update is happening soon?
Bill Petropoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2013, 07:20 PM   #4
Major Player

It's unusual for Canon to not telegraph it's model punches. We had notice of the HFG- XA updates from January. Now that the new models will be available any time, pricing has become very strange, for example with the XA10 now same as the HFG20. The problem with the XF300 from Canon's view may be there's nowhere for it to go. 1/2" sensors won't fit into the fairly compact case. A lot of current pro users prefer CF cards, don't want more than about 20X and say "meh" to 60p. Canon could fiddle around at the edges, offer PAL/NTSC, more pixels on the sensors to allow for OIS, 1080 60p, SD cards, wider, but it might not provide enough incentive to upgrade, and if anyone needs to buy a replacement camera there's now several competing models from Pany/Sony to choose from in that spec range. A year or two, who knows. I think it more likely short term that a significant price drop is on the way. This could also account for the B&H stock shortage.
Rainer Listing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2013, 07:45 PM   #5
Major Player

I wonder how much better low light performance they could get out of 1/3" chips. That's by far the thing I would most want out of a replacement. I would like a little bit more reach from the zoom but 18x is fairly good for my needs. The problem is that whenever I come to film something in poor light or indoors I usually struggle with what the XF produces. I might well get a C300 for those cases though.
Old June 9th, 2013, 09:17 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I think the huge price drop has already occured. A while back the XF300 was going for somewhere in the low $4,000's That is $2,000 less than a year ago.

Light sensitivity would be my main desire and 1080p60 is kind of showing up a lot now. But 1/3" chip cameras are not in vogue compared to DSLRs so it may be a tough business decision to commit a lot of resources. I really like the XF300 and Canon can make it pretty much perfect in my eyes with a few improvements. I hope they do release an improved version sooner rather than later.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2013, 05:24 PM   #7
Major Player

Considering I am probably getting a 305 in the next month or so, they will probably announce something new or do a huge price drop right after I buy. Completely off topic, I am visiting Arlington for work right now Tim and loving it. I dominated the hotel pool basketball hoop today.
Mark Koha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2013, 06:28 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Hey Mark. Hopefully you can be the one to push Canon to release the new XF camera. We will be watching!

What kind of work are you here for? The word on the street was that somebody was throwin' down at the lodging yesterday. Must have been you. :)
Old June 12th, 2013, 09:32 AM   #9
Major Player

Maybe this is what we are after (albeit at a higher price). http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-...pmw-300-a.html

The 1/2" chips should give much better low light performance and the extra DOF possibilities are an added bonus (although not a big deal for my work).
Old June 12th, 2013, 10:58 AM   #10
Inner Circle

I am not. I replaced an EX-1 with the XF300 and like the image and useability lot more. Plus the semi-shoulder is a no-go for me. The XF300 with a stop more light gathering and maybe a 20x lens would be a killer.
Old June 12th, 2013, 03:41 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Polster View Post
Hey Mark. Hopefully you can be the one to push Canon to release the new XF camera. We will be watching!

What kind of work are you here for? The word on the street was that somebody was throwin' down at the lodging yesterday. Must have been you. :)
I am on the traveling TV crew for the Cleveland Indians. We are in town playing the Rangers. I look at these as being great cams for ENG work so shallower depth of field is almost a down side for me. Gotta get the right camera for the right job.
Old June 13th, 2013, 07:17 AM   #12
Major Player

They are now doing drop shipments for B&H. I have two 305s for sports and am looking to pick up a 3rd. Very happy with mine.
Old June 15th, 2013, 05:21 PM   #13
Major Player

Whats a drop shipment? I put down a $100 deposit at my local camera store yesterday for them to order me a 305 so expect the price to come down real soon.
Old June 15th, 2013, 10:19 PM   #14
Major Player

The camera is shipped directly from the manufacturer to you.
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2013, 07:35 AM   #15
Major Player

For many of us the XF300 has always been too expensive a replacement. Unless Canon is coming out with a more reasonably priced camera I will have to move back to Panasonic and the AG-AC130A.
Greg Clark is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders