DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   Remaining recording time and memory usage, is this normal? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/517975-remaining-recording-time-memory-usage-normal.html)

Harm Millaard July 27th, 2013 01:47 AM

Remaining recording time and memory usage, is this normal?

1 Attachment(s)
I just noticed something strange with my XF300 and wonder is this is normal, or some firmware error.

I have a 32 GB CF card in the camera. The camera indicates only 2 minutes of recording time left on this card. So, one would think the card is pretty full, right?

Well, it is not. See the picture below. Only 22.9 GB used and 6.86 GB free. Why does the camera indicate only 2 minutes remaining recording time? IMO it should be much more.

Any thoughts on this?

Josh Morgan July 27th, 2013 12:15 PM

Re: Remaining recording time and memory usage, is this normal?

If you are recording at 50MBPS at 1080P, your full recording time should be around 80 mins...How much have you recorded so far?

Harm Millaard July 27th, 2013 01:37 PM

1:02 when it switches to the next card, so 62 minutes and the free space on the card is still 6.21 GB.

Recording at 1080i/25 fps 50 MB/s.

Josh Morgan July 27th, 2013 11:49 PM

What CF card are you using? Canon recommends specific brands to be used with this camera...

Harm Millaard July 28th, 2013 12:18 AM

SanDisk Extreme 32 GB

Josh Morgan July 28th, 2013 11:45 AM

Try to record until the camera stops the recording...Then see how much space is left on the card.

Harm Millaard July 28th, 2013 12:32 PM

After it says END, there is still 6.21 GB free.

Harry Pallenberg July 28th, 2013 11:04 PM

Reformat the card and record till full again and see if it actually fills up. I would say that is not normal - but I've never check to see how much space I have on a card... only how much time.

Roger Averdahl July 29th, 2013 02:40 AM

I see similar issues on the XF100 sometimes. (Sandisk 32GB)

I have also seen 32GB Sandisk cards formatted in the Canon C300 and when they are formatted only 8GB can be used on the card. The Sandisk card somewhat "offended" the C300 since it formatted correctly in a Canon 5DMKIII.

So there seems to be something with the Canon cameras internal software that does this. Are you on the latest firmware for the camera?

Ann Bens July 29th, 2013 03:00 PM

I have seen this also with the xf100 and 32 gig Transcend cards.

Harm Millaard July 30th, 2013 02:41 AM

I just updated the firmware to version 1.04. I had 1.02 up to now.

I will initialize a new card and see where it leaves me. I'll let you know.

Vincent Oliver August 1st, 2013 07:38 AM

I have a problem with one of my 16gb Lexar Professional 300X cards. It records in 4.7 gb sections, which do not join up properly on a long production (stage play or wedding service) Also the Stereo tracks jump from Audio 1&2 track to Audio 3&4 track on a Premiere time line. Have given up with this card, unless I am shooting very short sequences.

Bob Safay August 8th, 2013 04:40 AM

So the question is, How often should you initialize a CF card? Once when you first install it, after every download, once a week? Bob

Graham Bernard August 8th, 2013 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Safay (Post 1807849)
How often should you initialize a CF card?

After material is backed-up in 2 separate places, I initialize after every shoot. I have the firmware previous to this last XLR User Manual "description" compliance.

Grazie