Rain Cover at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old September 17th, 2013, 07:16 PM   #1
Major Player

Rain Cover

Anyone here find a reliable rain cover for the 300's? What are people using?
Mark Koha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2013, 08:03 PM   #2
New Boot

Re: Rain Cover

The CamRade cover is really nice! I have one myself! Here is the link to it! http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/743316-REG/camRade_WS_XF300_305_WS_XF300_305_Wetsuit_for_Canon.html
Josh Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2013, 03:47 PM   #3
Major Player

Mark Koha...this is JMHO, YMMV. I just purchased a CamRade "Wetsuit" for a PMW-200 and to be honest, I'm underwhelmed and will probably return it to B&H.

I spent a good couple of hours fiddling with it, trying to get the 'Wetsuit' square on the camera. It's askew, no matter how much I tug or pull. I may have gotten a Monday/Friday 'Wetsuit'? : )

IMO, the 'Wetsuit' is too tight in the areas where it should be loose and 'loose' in the areas where I think it should be tight. For example, the convenient access panel on the right side is too tight when my hand is placed in the camera's hand grip (at least on my specimen) and it doesn't hang-down as far as I'd like and could allow water to splash-in from underneath.

I'm using a Sony ECM-MS2 Mic and the covering for the mic and two XLR connector-block is so tight, the connectors can be seen poking-out and will eventually wear a hole through the material. I recommend using 90-degree XLR connectors.

The material for the EVF is too loose as is the shotgun Mic covering. The velcro 'seal' for use around the Mic's Deadcat is extremely generous and must be made for shotgun mics of a much larger diameter than any of mine. In fact, the velcros diameter is larger than any mic I can fit in the mount! Go figure?

I'm also not convinced the face-to-face hook and loop velcro seams won't leak. Other folks have glowing testimonials, I'm simply giving you my opinion.

There's no provision for using the 'Wetsuit' with Sony's BP-U90 (large) battery. This is an oversight, IMHO. I don't have the BP-U60 (mid-sized) battery, but I'd hope the overall length of the 'mide-size' battery will not exceed the design of the 'Wetsuit'. The BP-U30 battery fits nice and snug, which makes me wonder how well the BP-U60 battery will fit?

Once you get everything in-place, all of the velcro sealed and the elasticised shock-cord is snugly cinched around the sunshade of the lens, you'll notice you can look right in, like looking through a tunnel and see the edge of the LCD screen along with the top of the camera! Rain will get in there and it will leak on the top of the camera. And the top of the camera body is exactly where Sony put most of the cooling vents! To be fair, the cooling vent rain intrusion issue has be brought-up before and apparently the 'vents' don't allow access to any of the electronics. But, in my world 'Murphy' is alive and well.

The 'Wetsuit' is open at the front just above the lens! CamRade has gone to a lot of trouble to create a nice waterproof pocket of clear plastic for LCD screen, but left the front open to the elements. I don't know how it is elsewhere, but in FL it doesn't always rain straight down all the time, it sometimes rains sideways! This doesn't seem like a smart idea?

Another concern, I don't see any kind backing-tape on the sewn seams. I don't know if this will be a water intrusion issue, but I would find a bottle of camping tent seam sealer and use it on all sewn seams.

On the brightside, the material it's made from is soft, presumably water-resistant and makes very little noise.

Considering this is a relatively expensive item, designed and purpose-built for my camera model, it is a disappointment. I don't know if other manufacturers are better, but I have a feeling it's going to be about the same no matter where I purchase.

I think I will perfect my plastic bag cutting and taping technique.

JMHO, YMMV.

Regards,

J.
James Kuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2013, 02:16 AM   #4
Trustee

You may want to try the Kata CRC range of covers. I use one on my Panasonic AC130, which is a similar size to the XF300. I first used Kata raincovers years ago, and wasn't too impressed with the physical design. However, they have redesigned them, the new black ones are much better fitting than the old green ones.

Pros of Kata:
+ folds up small in my backpack/bag
+ slips on reasonably quickly
+ loose fitting, making it easy to get to all the controls when needed
+ large clear panels to see what's what
+ A first for any raincover I've used - it actually lets you slip it over a mic including a Softie windshield, without having to butcher the raincover

I've never been a fan of those closely-tailored covers like the Camrade wetsuit, and similar from Petrol and others. I find they actually get in the way of using the camera too much, and prefer the "throw it over the camera quickly" method with the Kata. I've shot for hours in the rain with the Kata, handheld and on a tripod, and it was surprisingly usable. I can mount the Kata in about 10 seconds, with maybe another 10 seconds of getting it just right.

I've also used the Petrol "stiff hood" type of rain cover, which is a nice idea, but the hotshoe mount was just too uncooperative for me. Not to mention that the model designed for the AC130 didn't fit the AC130 at all, unless you take off your shotgun mic and unscrew the mic mount from the side of the camera! http://www.petrolbags.com/Video-Camera-Protection

I've experimented with the "clear garbage bags and duct tape" method too, suffice to say after one particularly frustrating, extremely wet, cold and stormy day I got on to Amazon the next day and bought a proper, robust rain cover. The problems with the garbage bag were the ergonomics (it flapped everywhere in the wind), the rain noise was atrocious (the proper raincovers use "quieter" plastic, if that makes sense) and the water just pooled in the plastic in some places instead of running away.

Plus trying to attach a garbage bag in high wind was just hilarious for others to watch.

And trust me, we get a LOT of rain here, it's a topic close to my heart!

Kata page: CRC-15 PL | Kata Bags
Old October 6th, 2013, 03:36 PM   #5
Trustee

I wonder if Kata have also improved the materials used in the clear panels which I found were prone to the formation of an opaque deposit after a year or two? I've had several for different cameras and they all suffered from the same problem. It was possible to scrape it off partially with a thumbnail (I didn't want to risk scratching the plastic with any tool) but it was a looong job and it didn't completely restore the panel to being transparent.

I still find that they continue to be very rainproof (and sand/dust/snow/hail proof and, as Mike says they allow for the fitting of various accessories like radiomic receivers and furry mics to the cameras.
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2013, 06:38 AM   #6
Trustee

Colin - I'll give you feedback about the transparent plastic in a year or two. :)
Old October 8th, 2013, 12:51 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McDonald View Post
I wonder if Kata have also improved the materials used in the clear panels which I found were prone to the formation of an opaque deposit after a year or two? I've had several for different cameras and they all suffered from the same problem. It was possible to scrape it off partially with a thumbnail (I didn't want to risk scratching the plastic with any tool) but it was a looong job and it didn't completely restore the panel to being transparent.

I still find that they continue to be very rainproof (and sand/dust/snow/hail proof and, as Mike says they allow for the fitting of various accessories like radiomic receivers and furry mics to the cameras.
Had that opaque deposit problem with the clear plastics of my Thinktank Hydrophobia covers for my still cameras. ThinkTank recommended the following which I use to get rid of that problem.:

Go to an auto store, look for Meguiar's PlastX Clear Plastic Cleaner and Polish. Works wonders!
Maui, Hawaii
Todd Mizomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2013, 01:19 PM   #8
Major Player

Thanks for all the great info. I was just using a Kata cover on a shoulder mount XDCAM and it withstood a champagne and beer barrage in a locker room so that pretty well sold me on the brand.
Mark Koha is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders