Making the move, possibly? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old January 17th, 2014, 04:36 PM   #31
Inner Circle

Re: Making the move, possibly?

I looked through the menu, and maybe I missed it, but is there a way to illuminate the side panel? I do a lot of low light work.
Old January 18th, 2014, 11:08 AM   #32
Space Hipster

By demo unit, do you mean you have one to play with for a short time, or you bought one?
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2014, 11:32 AM   #33
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Vandermolen View Post
By demo unit, do you mean you have one to play with for a short time, or you bought one?
I have one to play with for a short time.
Old January 18th, 2014, 12:09 PM   #34
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Davis View Post
I looked through the menu, and maybe I missed it, but is there a way to illuminate the side panel? I do a lot of low light work.
If you mean the left side LCD panels, no, I don't believe there is. It does not say so in the manual. I usually use either my iPhone or carry a little pocket flashlight.

By the way, you should download the manual. It's online. I carry a copy in my iPad, and my iPhone.
Old January 18th, 2014, 02:50 PM   #35
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Bergstein View Post
If you mean the left side LCD panels, no, I don't believe there is. It does not say so in the manual. I usually use either my iPhone or carry a little pocket flashlight.

By the way, you should download the manual. It's online. I carry a copy in my iPad, and my iPhone.
Thanks Al,

I looked at the manual, did a Google, but thought I missed it. That's a little silly not to illuminate it.
Old January 18th, 2014, 05:28 PM   #36
Inner Circle

Looking at the list of media, http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/684199-REG/Canon_4457B001_XF300_Professional_Camcorder.html It's odd that Lexar's showing doesn't work in slomo. I went to the Canon site and some of the recommended media is discontinued. I'll probably buy 8 32gb cards.
Old January 19th, 2014, 03:31 AM   #37
Old Boot

Illuminating the Side Panel. Nothing in the Manual. VF and LCD yes, Side Panel no.

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2014, 03:18 PM   #38
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Bernard View Post
Illuminating the Side Panel. Nothing in the Manual. VF and LCD yes, Side Panel no.

Grazie

Thanks Graham.
Old January 21st, 2014, 04:53 PM   #39
Inner Circle

Update;

So far, the testing of the Canon XF300 has been a great success. The only 'head scratching' issues are the side panel not illuminating. Heck I have a crappy still camera that does that. heh. Also, with my steadicam work, that flip out lcd is going to be an adjustment. I've flown a Sony V1u for 7 years or so, and that flat/flip lcd was a life saver considering the lack of stature the steadicam stock lcd has.

Also, the Canon dude has been amazing to work with. The Sony professional people have been a complete failure. I contacted all three Sony Professional reps in Virginia, and none of them even bothered to contact me back, ever.. Then I contacted Sony in general, and it took more than a week for me to hear from them and all they did was give me a local distributor.

So other than some adjustments I've got to make in my workflow. I'm pretty sure the XF300 is going to be the deal.

The Canon rep below has been great to work with. He told me I could give out his name and email.

Mark Karwisch
Account Manager
ITCG Prof Prods Sales Engineer Division
Canon U.S.A., Inc.
5625 Oakbrook Parkway, Norcross, GA 30093
www.usa.canon.com
mkarwisch@cusa.canon.com

Last edited by Steven Davis; January 22nd, 2014 at 04:34 PM.
Steven Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2014, 07:54 PM   #40
Inner Circle

For what it's worth, here is a simple test using full auto mode. The first shot is my Sony V1u, the second is my Sony Z1u, the third is the Canon XF300 on it's lower setting and the fourth is on the highest setting. I though it interesting that the V1u had the best zoom. But again, this was just a quick test, nothing crazy.

https://plus.google.com/114460388138...ts/XnhRLorFD8n
Old March 6th, 2014, 06:00 PM   #41
Inner Circle

Well the twins came this week. Two XF300s from Adorama. I'm pretty happy so far. As mentioned before, i'll have to get used to flying with an lcd out, but I'll live. Taking the step to tapeless doesn't bother me as much because I've used my Nikon D800s and that's gone well.

I picked up batteries, Lexar cards, and two microphones that were recommended for the XF300 but still doesn't fit the diameter of the mic holder lol.

Thanks again for all the input.

Time to sell my two Sony V1us.

Last edited by Steven Davis; March 6th, 2014 at 06:01 PM. Reason: I blame someone else, not sure who, just someone else. :}
Steven Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2014, 10:13 AM   #42
Trustee

Steven, congratulations. You made a wise decision. I have had mine for a couple of years and I am still amazed at the quality of video I get out of it. Go to the Under Water Over Land forum and look at the video I shot in Alaska using the Canon XF300. Enjoy your new toys. Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2014, 11:30 PM   #43
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Safay View Post
Steven, congratulations. You made a wise decision. I have had mine for a couple of years and I am still amazed at the quality of video I get out of it. Go to the Under Water Over Land forum and look at the video I shot in Alaska using the Canon XF300. Enjoy your new toys. Bob
Thanks Bob.
Old March 16th, 2014, 09:47 PM   #44
Major Player

Congrats on making the move. I have been using my 305 heavily this week for the first time in a while and it continues to amaze me. I don't know where I would be without the built in wave form monitor.
Mark Koha is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders