Same trouble: A1 vs FCP (no recognition) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old July 30th, 2007, 10:02 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Same trouble: A1 vs FCP (no recognition)

I've had this problem in the past, and I know we've gone over it a million times. I didn't change any setting but now there is "no communication" between my A1 and FCP.

Can someone please go over their exact settings (and or process) for the camera to be recognized. I'm shooting in 24f.
Brian Spatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 10:05 AM   #2
New Boot

And you have nothing but the A1 connected to the FW bus?

Bw

Sven
Sven Ohrvik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 10:16 AM   #3
Contributor

You have to have your easy setup at the 1080P24 if you've shot 24f.
What I do is plug in the camera and turn it on before firing up FCP. That seems to always work. At first I had some difficulty in getting the camera recognized until I did it that way. Also, you might need to go down your view menu and check refresh av device and external video.
If you have captured something or even opened a project that's different from the one you're working on, FCP seems to default to whatever that was and you may have to change the Easy Setup back to what it needs to be.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 10:17 AM   #4
New Boot

Since I do a lot of audio recording/mixing I have a Tascam FW1884 mixing board (it is also an analog/digital converter and acts as a "sound card") hooked up to my Mac.

FCP will not capture at all when this is hooked up, so I have to taked the FireWire cable to the mixing board off, capture, then hook it up again to "hear" audio from my Mac.

As Sven pointed out, it is clearly an issue with the Mac's FW bus. Make sure nothing else is hooked up.
Old July 30th, 2007, 03:38 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Reset FCP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pryor View Post
You have to have your easy setup at the 1080P24 if you've shot 24f.
What I do is plug in the camera and turn it on before firing up FCP. That seems to always work. At first I had some difficulty in getting the camera recognized until I did it that way. Also, you might need to go down your view menu and check refresh av device and external video.
If you have captured something or even opened a project that's different from the one you're working on, FCP seems to default to whatever that was and you may have to change the Easy Setup back to what it needs to be.

That was my problem in the beginning. Since then I've always plugged the camera in, powered it up, then started FCP. I've shot all projects in 24f so I got very frustrated when all of a sudden it wouldn't recognize the camera. Have you heard or used any program that resets Final Cut to its "default" environment? Perhaps I just need to start fresh.
Brian Spatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 04:30 PM   #6
Contributor

Just go down to the Easy Setup 1080P24 and choose that. Should work. You might try restarting first.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2007, 12:35 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pryor View Post
Just go down to the Easy Setup 1080P24 and choose that. Should work. You might try restarting first.
Apparently my A1 is a DVCProHD camera, who knew?!?!?! I'm kidding of course, however with the following settings FCP is able to recognize my camera and control it:

Sequence: HDV - 1080p24
Capture: DVCPRO HD - 1080pA24 48 kHz
Device Control: DVCPRO HD Firewire

I guess its good news since with DVCProHD I can start hiking my rates!
Brian Spatz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders