do you use auto white balance? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old August 1st, 2007, 10:57 AM   #1
Regular Crew

do you use auto white balance?

I never do. I like to set color temperature manually, so I have better control over the color tone. How about you?
Juni Zhao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2007, 11:06 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Sometimes

It depends, in event videography while chasing the actors, you can move to various and numerous light sources, so in those cases I run in auto. But for lengthier shots, I set it myself.
Old August 1st, 2007, 01:04 PM   #3
Contributor

No. I don't want the white balance to change during a shot.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2007, 01:08 PM   #4
Major Player

never. i love the advanced color temp settings on the a1.
it's probably my favorite feature.
Eric Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2007, 02:21 PM   #5
Regular Crew

WB is another area I need to explore outside the comfort zone of full auto. What do you pros use to manually set your white balance? Please name product names/websites so I can research.

Thanks in advance
Dearl Golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2007, 02:26 PM   #6
Contributor

There's no product needed. Simply white balance to existing conditions, or use the tungsten or daylight preset. Or white balance and then go up or down as desired (which is fun to do just because you can).
Old August 1st, 2007, 02:39 PM   #7
Major Player

"What do you pros use to manually set your white balance? Please name product names/websites so I can research."

I'd love give you some fancy European sounding product..but in reality, I fill up my frame with whatever is close by and "whiteish"...typically my girlfriends shirt, a table cloth, a poodle, etc.
Eric Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2007, 02:43 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Thanks, guys. Didn't realize it was that simple.
Dearl Golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2007, 02:50 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Yeah, what's neat is to try different items. Typically, if I'm in a ceremony, I'll white balance to the scene I'll zoom in on, i.e. the stage. White balancing to something close to you, and then zooming in 60 feet doesn't always work when the lighting is very uneven.

So just explore and test with things where you are. I'm one of those that want the most natural color, and then will adjust in post.

One of the hardest lessons I've ever learned was running a full tape with WB preset, then the sun went down. You just have to be prepared for the changing conditions.
Old August 1st, 2007, 02:56 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dearl Golden View Post
Thanks, guys. Didn't realize it was that simple.
It's pretty much to you own taste and liking. The color really adds mood to the video you make. Sometimes it requires exact tone, sometimes you can exaggerate. I set color temp using my own judgment, like how I decide tone in my painting....
Juni Zhao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2007, 03:12 PM   #11
Regular Crew

On a sunny day, I use the stock sunny preset. When on auto, its a little too warm.

Mark
Mark Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2007, 05:00 PM   #12
Contributor

I use the presets whenever possible, usually daylight (I use Caselights with daylight fluorescent lamps and HMIs for a lot of interior shooting where there is ambient daylight coming in). In a studio situation or night interiors I'll use tungsten preset with 3200 lights. My reason for using the presets is that If I white balance, then I lose the warm color I've cranked into the camera's setting. At least I think I do. With the DSR500 I do, so I'm assuming the Canon would do the same thing. Makes sense that if I white balance, my color correction setup would go away because everything would reset to white being white as opposed to being slightly warmer or cooler, depending on my setup. I should probably check that out sometime.
Old August 1st, 2007, 08:00 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Weiss View Post
"What do you pros use to manually set your white balance? Please name product names/websites so I can research."
If I'm shooting a short film I will usually use the Indoor or Outdoor Preset just so all my shots stay consistent. If I'm shooting a promo or tutorial I use these warm cards. I haven't quite gotten the hang of the temperature preset yet.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders