Question regarding XLR cable at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old August 2nd, 2007, 03:50 PM   #1
New Boot

Question regarding XLR cable

I bought the NTG2 but I just now realized that it didn't come with an XLR to XLR but rather a XLR to stereo 3.5 mm. Should I buy the XLR to XLR or stick with what it came with? I'm surprised the NTG2 didn't come with an XLR to XLR.

Last edited by Mark Davies; August 2nd, 2007 at 04:28 PM.
Mark Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2007, 05:22 PM   #2
New Boot

And if I did get an XLR to XLR, would this one work well?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...oiled_XLR.html
Old August 2nd, 2007, 09:14 PM   #3
Contributor

I've never seen a shotgun mic come with a cable, so you're one up on most people. If the right angle XLR connector fits OK without interfering with any switches or anything, it would be fine, but you might take a close look first. You'll need longer cables, of course, for when you use the mic on a boom, but that one should be OK for camera mounting.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2007, 11:36 PM   #4
New Boot

How much quality difference is there between an XLR to XLR or just using what mine came with? I also have an adapter I could use that makes the 3.5mm to an XLR...Is that worth it?
Old August 3rd, 2007, 07:00 AM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

It's not a quality difference... it's a convenience difference and a peace-of-mind difference. XLR is a more secure and robust connection.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2007, 07:35 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I bought the NTG2, but mine never came with any cable. I made a XLR to XLR lead using a 90 degree bend on the camera end. This way the plug doesn't stick out to far and catch when I put the camera back into the bag.

Mark
Mark Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2007, 09:25 AM   #7
Wrangler

You will need XLR-to-XLR to use the A1's phantom power with the mic. Phantom power is not available at the 3.5mm mic jack.

Also, there may be questions as to what sound is recorded on the left and right channels depending on the details of your XLR-to-miniphone adapter. From your post it reads as though you will get equal-but-out-of-phase sound on the left and right channels.
Old August 3rd, 2007, 01:06 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Davies View Post
And if I did get an XLR to XLR, would this one work well?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...oiled_XLR.html
I use that cable with my A1/NTG2
Dearl Golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2007, 11:41 AM   #9
New Boot

3 meter limit on XLR cable length for boomed mic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pryor View Post
I've never seen a shotgun mic come with a cable, so you're one up on most people. If the right angle XLR connector fits OK without interfering with any switches or anything, it would be fine, but you might take a close look first. You'll need longer cables, of course, for when you use the mic on a boom, but that one should be OK for camera mounting.
The XH-A1 manual indicates a 3-meter length limit on the XLR mic cables.
That's not quite 10 feet but I was thinking about picking up a 25' XLR and a rode shotgun mic for my two day old XH-A1. Do we need to observe this limitation when using a boom or is there something else to consider, alternatives?
Kevin Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2007, 12:08 PM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Collins View Post
The XH-A1 manual indicates a 3-meter length limit on the XLR mic cables.
That's not quite 10 feet but I was thinking about picking up a 25' XLR and a rode shotgun mic for my two day old XH-A1. Do we need to observe this limitation when using a boom or is there something else to consider, alternatives?
You will be fine.
David W. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2007, 12:45 PM   #11
Contributor

I don't know why they would cite that length. I've routinely run 50-100 feet of audio cable with no problems.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2007, 06:48 AM   #12
Wrangler

The 3 meter limit maybe driven by the mechanics of connecting to and dragging cable without additional strain relief. A careless user (none of those here are there?) could damage or break the XLR connector on the camcorder if they try to drag too much cable with the camcorder. Similarly, long cables not secured or gaffer-taped to the floor could get snagged by the dainty foot of a random passing klutz and you end up with a spilled camcorder and tripod. Aad if used with an on-board mic, more than 9.5 feet of cable becomes an issue with dragging on the floor, tripping the operator, extra weight, etc.

Practically speaking, you can run balanced, low impedance microphone signals several hundred feet without a problem.
Old August 6th, 2007, 08:38 AM   #13
Contributor

That would be true for any camera made if some dude drug a couple hundred feet of cable across the floor using the camera for a handle.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders