Best way to ingest at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old August 6th, 2007, 07:31 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Best way to ingest

Hi all, I am new to HDV and I am going crosseyed looking for info on the best way to ingest 1080i 24f footage, shot to tape on my XH-A1, into FCP6 on a Power Mac.

Sales staff at the varoius supply houses all suggest buying a Sony Deck, and or a Blackmagic Intensity card. It seems to me though that none of the current decks, or affordable capture cards, support my preferred format, 1080i 24f, am I missing something?

Is firewire transfer from the camera still the best, or only, option?

Is there any advantage to having an Intensity card in my machine other than for the HDMI out port for playback to an HD TV?

Thanks for your input and experience.

Rich.
Richard Siberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2007, 07:54 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Richard, a Sony HDV deck will not support 24F. There's nothing wrong with playing the tape directly from your XH A1 in VCR mode and capturing through FireWire. If you don't want to use your A1 as a deck, then either of the two Canon consumer HDV camcorders (HV10 and HV20) can be used as a deck and both support 24F playback.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2007, 10:11 PM   #3
New Boot

The A1 records 24f through 60i, so you should be fine playing it back on any HDV deck that can play back the Canon HDV Stream format. If you shoot 24f remember to pulldown!
Greg Cotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2007, 06:28 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Hey Greg, On the A1 with 24f are you sure you need to use the pull down? I thought i read somewhere that it was not needed or its automatically done. one of the two. Could be wrong...
Brent Goodale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2007, 10:12 AM   #5
Contributor

That's not exactly accurate, about the pulldown. The 24F in HDV comes into FCP as "real" 24p. NO pulldown. In shooting SD you have the pulldown option, but you're talking about HDV. It's 24p, no pulldown option. Nothing will play the Canon's 24F HDV footage except the Canon cameras, ie., the XL H1, the XH A1/G1, and the little single chip HV10 and HV20.

All you have to do in FCP is use the 1080P24 setup and make sure your sequence settings match. I think in FCP6 that happens automatically, but I'm not sure. I'm using 5.1.4 and I have to do the Easy Setup, then the sequence setting.

I've had absolutely no problems editing HDV, 24P, in FCP. It works just like DV editing, except that some of the effects have to render, and the sequence has to "conform" before exporting.

I don't have an HD monitor, so I can't watch my stuff on anything other than the computer monitors while I'm editing. What I do for color correction is change the output setting to DV, and I can see a still frame on my NTSC monitor. It won't play, but a freeze is good enough for color correction. An HD monitor would be nice.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2007, 10:18 AM   #6
Major Player

I have had great luck with:

Shoot A1 > put tape in HV20 > go through HDMI into Blackmagic card (and 1394 for device control), edit as true 24p HDMI material.

But typically I use my A1 to capture HDV
Matthew Nayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2007, 10:30 AM   #7
Major Player

Matthew,

Could you please elaborate on that?

Which Blackmagic card?
Are you using Vegas?
What setting/file format do you cap at?
What’s the specs of your system?

I’m looking to go that way too and have been using the HV20 as a deck.
Eric Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2007, 10:37 AM   #8
Major Player

if space is an issue, this is a great drive. i've filled about 700G withn 3 months with no problems. it's very fast and stable at both firewire 400 and 800. it also comes set up as raid 0. there's a new 1.5TB as well..but for $300, the price is right.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822204022
Eric Weiss is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders