Filters and matte box... any tips? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old August 9th, 2007, 11:51 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Filters and matte box... any tips?

I have a UV/haze that I keep in place at all times. I recently bought a grad ND. With the rotating outer ring, it's difficult to quickly change the lens without removing matte box.

Has anyone found an easy way to deal with filters without removing the matte box?

Thanks!
Jason Sovey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2007, 11:55 AM   #2
Contributor

The major reason for a matte box is to use filters that drop into the matte box slots quickly and easily, not threaded filters on the lens.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2007, 12:22 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Sorry, I should have said lens hood instead of matte box.
Old August 9th, 2007, 12:29 PM   #4
Contributor

Oh, OK. You have to take the lens hood off to change filters. At least I do.
Old August 9th, 2007, 12:45 PM   #5
Major Player

I'm planing soon to buy a Matte Box for my A1 from B&H. I was wondering if those 4x4 filters and the Matte box are going to increase the Film look on my weddings. It's worth it? If do ,can you guys tell me wich two 4x4 filters should I buy to get that look? I usually buy from B& H but I'm open other options as long they increase my video film quality.
Jose Ortiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2007, 01:36 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pryor View Post
Oh, OK. You have to take the lens hood off to change filters. At least I do.
That's what I've been doing. So far the best idea I've had to get around it, is to stack some haze filters, but I'd like to shoot through as little glass as possible.

I could try some sort of a spacer ring (basically a "filter" with no glass) to give me a little more room to work with. B&H doesn't appear to stock any. I'm sure someone has thought of it, so I assume this setup must create some other type of problem.
Old August 9th, 2007, 02:15 PM   #7
Contributor

You could do that, use a clear or UV filter, but the more you stack on the end of the lens, the greater your chance of having corner vignetting at wide angles. The lens hood twists off and on in a couple of seconds; I don't see why it's a problem.
Old August 9th, 2007, 07:19 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pryor View Post
You could do that, use a clear or UV filter, but the more you stack on the end of the lens, the greater your chance of having corner vignetting at wide angles. The lens hood twists off and on in a couple of seconds; I don't see why it's a problem.
It's not a problem really, I'm just lazy sometimes. :-)

Seriously though, most of my shooting has been on mountain trails with some dynamic scenery. One shot down into a valley might be fine with the built in ND filter, but around the corner might be a cliff face where a ND grad really helps to keep the detail without overexposing the sky. On winding trails, my lighting conditions change frequently, so I have been removing the lens hood a lot, After doing this several times on a 10 mile hike, anything I can do to save time helps.

I'll seriously look into getting a matte box and filters. That's sounds like the easiest option.

Thanks for your help! Someday I'll get there...
Old August 9th, 2007, 07:29 PM   #9
Contributor

If you're hiking in the mountains, I think the last thing you need is a mattebox that increases weight and makes the camere more cumbersome. You might just leave the lens hood off.

An alternative would be to get one of those rubber collapsable lens hoods that screws into the lens but has its own threads for filters. You can mash it down flat and change a filter. However, you want to try to get one as big as possible because most of them will give you some corner vignetting at wide angles. I have an 82mm one I use on a 2/3" lens, which is 10mm at the wide end, which would probably fairly comparable to the XH A1's wide angle, and I have to be really careful to not get corner vignetting. I have one for my still camera, a Canon 20D, and it shows up really badly at full wide on the cheapo lens they give you with the camera. But if you can find a 72mm one that's big enough, that might solve your problem. Tiffen used to make them. Here's one I found easily: http://www.camerafilters.com/pages/lenshoods.aspx
Old August 9th, 2007, 07:41 PM   #10
Contributor

Hereyago. I even did the B&H search for you...since I'm sitting here with nothing to do:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...bber_Wide.html
Old August 12th, 2007, 12:32 PM   #11
Regular Crew

cinetactics....

If you are looking to get a pro looking/functioning mattebox look here. www.Cinetactics.com .....I bought mine for my vx2100 and just recently sold the vx and I am keeping the mattebox for when I go to order my xh a1 here in a few days. You dont need the hd mattebox and if you look at the page where it suggest the model for the xh a1 is says use the dv mattbox. You will need a step ring they sell. Total is 140....cheap!!!!! If you all want pictures wait about a week and half till I actually get my xh a1 and I will upload some shots. Im excited about the xh a1!!!
Trent Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2007, 01:30 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Thanks Bill for the link! That does seem like the easiest solution for quick and frequent filter changes in the field.

Trent, I'll look into the matte box link you posted. I was recently at a car show where it would have come in handy.
Jason Sovey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders