Case for A1, MacBook Pro, Digital SLR at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old August 12th, 2007, 08:28 PM   #1
Tourist

Case for A1, MacBook Pro, Digital SLR

If this has been asked in here before afraid I can't find it. I am the proud owner of a new A1. Well, my institution is. What I'm looking for is a hard case (Pelican?) that will hold the A1 and accessories, a Nikon SLR, and a 15" MacBook pro. AND I want this to qualify as carry-on baggage. Is there such a case? I looked at the Pelican 1560 and it looks like it will carry everything except the MacBook. How does one carry all of this gear all at once as carry-on? I have some traveling to do soon and need some serious advice. Thanks!

Stan Orchard
Pacific Science Center
Seattle
Stan Orchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2007, 08:52 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Although this on isn't a hardcase, its extremely protective.
http://www.kata-bags.com/Item.asp?pi...d=1&ProdLine=1

I'm not positive that you can carry it on, as I just bought it today, but it is a backpack so I think you could. It will hold EVERYTHING. Here 's a list of what I put in it today:
XH-A1 + Wide Angle (very large canon)
Canon EOS 30D with 2 lenses + flashhead
Sony Handycam HDR-HC3
extra batteries and chargers for ALL cameras
All accessory cables + others + manuals for all cameras
Extra tapes, filters, memorycards, etc.
M-audio mobile pre
Rode ntg-1 mic with cable and windscreen
Gateway 15" laptop w/ extra battery
Portable Tripod
could still fit a little more with ingenuity...

I do alot of location shooting where I dont always have power. I needed something I could strap on my back and carry everything I would need. This was the best I could find in town, but Im sure there are other options. I do love this case and would recommend it. NOt sure how it will hold up, but it seems to be designed very well, and I think KATA is reputable. It seems like a good deal. I paid $350 but B+H has it for $320. Comes with a tripod holder, some really cool camera straps that hook to the shoulder straps, and a rain cover. Hope this helps!

Last edited by Robert Brandon; August 12th, 2007 at 09:08 PM. Reason: forgot some features...
Robert Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2007, 09:05 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I forgot to mention...
Although this case is fairly comfortable and ergonomic, I wouldnt recommend it for extensive hiking or all day trips. I would probably move up to their "grizzly" version for that, or possibly another brand. From you post it sounds like you just need decent portability. The Kata will provide that.
Old August 13th, 2007, 07:03 AM   #4
New Boot

I have the Pelican. Problem is that it does not hold that much. I don't think you would get the MacBook in - I just tried! Depends on which Nikon digital and the lenses. Further experiment shows would be OK if A1 goes on top of MacBook, and that my version is a 1510.
I use an Airport (can't remember which model but it's the biggest) from Think Tank. Currently has A1, 2 Nikon bodies, a 300 f.28 and a 70-200 2.8 in it, plus MacBook 15. No room for 17" as currently configured. It has wheels and back straps. It is absolutely on the airline limit, and over if expanded. It does just fit in the wire frame things used to check, and my usual airport is Heathrow where security etc is rigorous.
The airport goes to and from to Africa and gets hard use; never has any breakages so far and it's a year or so old.
Hope this not unhelpful.
Robert Dashwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2007, 12:38 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I was about to order a Crumpler Karachi Outpost when I saw this thread and the Think Tank Airport Addicted. That looks like a very nice bag, and it will definitely hold what I need (same as you, A1+DSLR+laptop), but at $389 its pretty expensive. I can get the Karachi Outpost for $150 using my Amazon.com credit, but I don't know if it will hold all that gear as well as the Airport Addicted will, and while in theory it should pass as carry-on luggage, I don't know if it meets airline regulations as strictly.

Anybody using the Karachi Outpost for an A1 plus other gear? :) I sure wish I had somewhere I could try these bags out...
Jason Livingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2007, 04:43 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I almost bought the Think Tank. I thought the Kata seemed much more durable, ergonomic, and protective. Price wasnt the issue, even though the KATA was cheaper. It seemed a little more comfortable, also. However, I cant guarantee the carry-on thing. I definately recommend the Kata over the Think tank, as far as everything else goes. The smaller opening so you can quickly grab your camera comes in very handy. Ive already used it several times:)
Old August 15th, 2007, 08:36 AM   #7
Regular Crew

[QUOTE=Robert Brandon;727908]Although this on isn't a hardcase, its extremely protective.
[QUOTE]
The Kata Backpack IS NOT airline carry-on approved. The biggest dimensions is 22x14x9" or 45" as per airline guidelines. This is the same as the sizewise check box. If you go to certain airports around the world(especially the UK), you will be hassled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Livingston View Post
I was about to order a Crumpler Anybody using the Karachi Outpost for an A1 plus other gear? :) I sure wish I had somewhere I could try these bags out...
I could just fit a HVX200 (with viewfinder removed), with a Canon 1D and 70-200 lens separated. Couldn't fit my other lenses (24-70 and 16-35) and 560EX flash with spare batteries, harddrives etc, I choose not to get the Karachi. I now have the Think Tank Airport Addicted which can fit all that and my laptop.
Drew Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2007, 08:37 AM   #8
Regular Crew

[QUOTE=Robert Brandon;727908]Although this on isn't a hardcase, its extremely protective.
[QUOTE]
The Kata Backpack IS NOT airline carry-on approved. The biggest dimensions is 22x14x9" or 45" as per airline guidelines. This is the same as the sizewise check box. If you go to certain airports around the world(especially the UK), you will be hassled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Livingston View Post
I was about to order a Crumpler Anybody using the Karachi Outpost for an A1 plus other gear? :) I sure wish I had somewhere I could try these bags out...
I could just fit a HVX200 (with viewfinder removed), with a Canon 1D and 70-200 lens separated. Couldn't fit my other lenses (24-70 and 16-35) and 560EX flash with spare batteries, harddrives etc, I choose not to get the Karachi. I now have the Think Tank Airport Addicted which can fit all that and my laptop. If you travel a lot on airlines like I do, it's the only bag out there that can carry this much gear and look like a normal carry on bag that fits the size wise tester.
Drew Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2007, 03:13 AM   #9
New Boot

Nice bag the kata !
I'm very happy also with my LowePro Computrekker Plus AW.
It holds things very well...

P.S.
Robert, what kind of portable tripod do you use for that HDV camera ?
I also use the Rode NTG-1..what about of audio settings for that mic ?
Luigi Beverelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2007, 08:05 AM   #10
Major Player

Check the Kata OC-84 it will hold 2 A1s, accesories and a 17" MBP. Also, there is a Kata OC-82 that matches the 84 and slide right on to the trolly which will give you more space. Both together will go on most airlines without a problem.

One really nice thing about the Kata or Lowepro over the Think Tank (I own all three) is that the Kata and Lowepro are semi rigid. Which translates to: If you have to plane side check a bag because you're on a prop or small jet, the bag should protect your gear. I'm not endorsing a full checking with it but for plane side, the rigid sides are nice to have.
Josh Laronge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2007, 04:07 PM   #11
Major Player

Check out the Crumpler Zoomiverse. It will fit all the things that you mention, and it is cool looking with lifetime warranty, waterproof and best of all it has it own mesh compartment. That way you can still leave you gears inside the mesh compartment and take it out of the bag and just use the bag like another backpack .

Only thing is that it is a european model. you can't get it in the U.S.A and Asia and Australia

go here for more info:

http://crumpler.de/?product=Zoomiver...oduct_line=575

Last edited by David Chia; September 27th, 2007 at 01:50 AM.
David Chia is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders