Advice to return XH-A1 or not? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old August 15th, 2007, 07:53 AM   #16
New Boot

Thanks to all..

Thank you everyone. Your input has been invaluable to me...

Points from this are:
- I have the right camera just need to learn use it properly, setting the presets, gain & white balance
- Ensure I have an adequate light source (20W-30W) for those darker moments, or alternatively light the event properly with red heads
- Learn to use the IRIS and Shutter Speed controls
- There's always the post production to rectify any light issues

Thank you all for your input and keep up the good work!
Moony
Munaf Tufail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2007, 09:17 AM   #17
Major Player

Moony,

Interesting post. Can I add my bit? My background is stills, not video, but low natural light has been my thing for years.

The lens on the A1 is f1.6 at the wide end to f3.5 at the long end. In photo terms f1.6 is extremely fast. At the wide setting with the aperture (IRIS) wide open, the lens will let in 5-6x more light than when it is zoomed to telephoto.

To echo others, work with the lens at its widest setting, but do not zoom in. If you need to get closer, move. Open the iris and just leave it there; use the shutter speed and if necesary, gain to control the light. Using these settings, I would supect that you will not need much additional light from your PAG?

Hope this helps?

Nick.

Last edited by Nick Wilcox-Brown; September 4th, 2007 at 02:01 PM.
Nick Wilcox-Brown is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders