Lense 'smeared' at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old August 15th, 2007, 11:13 PM   #1
Major Player

Lense 'smeared'

Apparently when I changed filters the other day the UV didn`t screw on right, and it along with the lense cap fell off inside my carry bag. The lense on the camera had a scuff mark on it. I didn`t realize when I took it out that it was the lense and not the UV ( I thought I just forgot to put the lense cap on during packing) and wiped it with a lense cloth and lense cleaning paper. Now there is like a slight discolored swirl that you see only from certain angles with light reflecting off it. Its a very slight discoloration from the rest of the lense. Will this be noticable in the image? Did i damage the lense? The lense cloth was brand new and i didn`t use any solution to clean it. There are no scratches but my heart is racing because i don`t have time to send it out if its a problem. Help.
Old August 16th, 2007, 06:54 AM   #2
Wrangler

The front element is probably a protective piece of flat optical glass, not a focusing element.

If you see the smudge only when light hits it at an angle, it is probably just a slight compromise of the anti-reflective performance of the lens coating. It may even just be a result of some residual smudge left over from the cleaning, and a better cleaning might remove it.

Any effects would probably be very subtle and difficult if not nearly impossible to see in normal video. If you can see it at all, it might appear as a hint of reduced contrast in the image. It maybe more visible if direct sun (or other bright light source) was hitting the lens, or in very bright light if the camcorder was in macro focusing mode and stopped down to a small aperture.

Bottom line, if you can't see it in your video on a good monitor, don't sweat it.
Old August 16th, 2007, 08:30 AM   #3
Major Player

Hey Nathan...

Use some lens tissue and fluid. Put the fluid right on the tissue and coat the lens in fluid from the tissue (never directly apply from bottle).

Use a dry tissue now to evenly wipe away the fluid. Gently, don't swirl. Make sure you get all the corners.

You can use a q-tip for the corners, but it can leave hairs.

If this doesn't remove your swirl, try again... it will eventually go away (it's a greasy coating on your lens front which has an anti-reflective coating).

Typically, as long as your lens isn't scratched, it should be possible to return it to pristine condition through careful cleansing, blowing away of dust, brushing with a camelhair brush, and more lens fluid if needed.
Matthew Nayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2007, 12:31 PM   #4
Major Player

it should be fine.

i'm always shooting in humid conditions and even with a clean
lens cloth i get those swirls. it's never shown up on my footage.
Eric Weiss is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders