Question: Connecting XH-A1 via Firewire at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old August 18th, 2007, 11:19 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Question: Connecting XH-A1 via Firewire

I am not sure if I should post this thread here or in the NLE section of the forum. My question concerns capturing video directly into Final Cut Pro 5.1 from my XH-A1 using a firewire cable. I think I remember reading on the forum that all you have to do is to open the "Log & Capture" window in Final Cut and then click "Capture Now". Can someone let me know if this is correct?

Also, does anyone know if you can capture 1080f24, 1080f30, and 1080i60 via firewire?

Thanks,
Hugh
Hugh Walton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2007, 12:32 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I don't have Mac but Vegas on PC capture HD via FW. You just got to have a good CPU that handles the information, capturing HD is not like DV, at least not in Vegas.
I *think* you can capture anything the XHA1 outputs but I have not tested 25F myself, only DV and HD (50i)
Mats Frendahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2007, 05:36 PM   #3
Contributor

I'm getting a little rusty on my 5.whatever numbers. Is the 5.1 you have the $49 Universal upgrade that was around for a year? I think that was from 5.0 to 5.1, but it might have been from 5.1 to 5.1.2. I think we're at 5.1.4 now. Anyway, if it's the Universal, that allows you to do the free dowload that gets you the 24f capability. I THINK that's 5.1.2. Just open your easy setup menu and look down and see if the 1080P24 setting is there.

If you have the setting, you're cool to go. If not, you have a problem because the cheap upgrade, I've heard, is no longer available. Let's assume you have it but, since you said 5.1, that would mean you haven't downloaded the free part yet, so do that if you still need to. Anyway, if you have the 1080P24 option, you have what you need.

If so, all you have to do is click that option. Then click on your sequence icon and go to sequence settings and change the sequence setting to that one too. Then you should be able to capture in a normal fashion. If you drop a clip in the timeline and it wants to render, that means your sequence settings aren't matching the capture settings.

When you're ready to capture you need to go out of capture mode if your camera is not already plugged in via firewire. Make sure the camera is OFF when you plug or unplug it. Plug it in, turn it on to the vcr mode, and THEN open your capture mode and it should work.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders