Adjusting colour saturation at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old August 22nd, 2007, 04:08 AM   #1
Major Player

Adjusting colour saturation

Hi:

I know, the Canon is famous for being very honest with colour reproduction. But, sometimes you really want these saturated colours that people have become accustomed to. I'm planning a trip to Costa Rica, 30% is national parks lots of wild wildlife and colourful birds, and I want to make sure that I get all of it first shot (because I probably won't have a second) and that it looks like "nature++".

Two questions:

- how do I boost colour saturation? I've downloaded the presets but none seem to be designed for this.

- can you do this in post production without too much noise penalty? Which way is best, to have saturated raw footage and reduce saturation in post or normal saturation in raw footage and boost in post?

(yes, as you might have guessed, I haven't worked with this before).
Erik Norgaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2007, 04:40 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi Erik...

Whoooah, that's a question or three....

First off, are you unhappy with what's coming off the A1 as it stands (saturation wise)?

Have you tried boosting it in the presets (on your own) and with what effect?

I, personnaly, and I stress, this is just me, have boosted the "saturation" by maybe 20 points and just left it at that.

That's good for me - looks good coming straight off the camera, in post and everywhere else.

If you have a problem with the colour or saturation not covered here then maybe you need to be speaking to Canon before you embark on this trip!

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2007, 04:41 AM   #3
Regular Crew

The preset "VIVIDRGB" does, as the name implies, just that.
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost....7&postcount=78
Rene Roslev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2007, 05:12 AM   #4
Regular Crew

the vivid preset is great for outdoor shots. Makes the images look better than they really are. its brings the reds out a little too much but that can be adjusted.
Brent Goodale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2007, 08:59 AM   #5
Major Player

open up an image and an RGB WFM - as you increase saturation in a properly exposed image you will begin to lose information in one or two of the color channels - so there is a downside to increasing saturation.

it seems to me that the milky color settings maximize effective dynamic range, with no downside for folks if color grading is part of the workflow

any thoughts?
Peter Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2007, 10:12 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Why not pol. filter?
Mats Frendahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2007, 11:18 AM   #7
Major Player

you should create your own preset based on the needs at the time.
it doesnt take long once you get the hang of it. vegas has great color correction and boosting the saturation in there may be a better idea.

i've attached some birds i filmed last month. i used only a slight boost in the "color gain" and "R Gain" and"G Gain" in-camera and used the "sun" color temp , probably between +4 and +8 to give some of those shots a warmer feeling. the shots are overexposed by 1 or 2 stops. always tweak this kind of BS in the VF, not the LCD..once you get an accurate setup in-studio.
Attached Files
File Type: wmv birds.wmv (1.95 MB, 174 views)
Eric Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2007, 02:05 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Eric, why overexpose? What is "pure" white can never be reproduced in post if needed.
Mats Frendahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2007, 02:27 PM   #9
Major Player

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, Thanks Eric W for the clip, nice!

I will try that VIVIDRGB preset. Luckily, I have a short trip to Tenerife before so I might get a chance to try. I don't consider "getting a hang of it" in the jungle an option - at least not one I'd like to rely on.

Cheers, Erik
Erik Norgaard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders