Cheap Rain Jacket for A1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old August 24th, 2007, 07:42 PM   #1
Major Player

Cheap Rain Jacket for A1

G'day all.

Had a real win the other day. Was looking at getting a rain jacket for my A1 but balked at the cost, and the looks, of the custom ones available.

Went into my local camping store and bought a Sea to Summit 'Stuff Sack' ( http://www.seatosummit.com.au/showdetail.php?Code=ASS ) and cut the bottom out of it, sliced about two thirds along one side and, voila, a perfectly good rain jacket for my A1` for the cost of AUS$14.95!

It's waterproof coated nylon with a 'toggle' neck. Works a treat.

Oh. it's the 'Large' or 15L model.
Attached Thumbnails
Cheap Rain Jacket for A1-a1rj.01b.jpg   Cheap Rain Jacket for A1-a1rj.02b.jpg  

Bill Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2007, 08:21 PM   #2
Contributor

Excellent idea.

I carry a few plastic kitchen trash bags in my camea bag. Turn one upside down, slip over the camera...cut a slit for the lens and one for the eyepiece. if you cut each slit slightly smaller than it should be, the plastic stretches over the lens hood and fits tightly, same for the eyepiece. Not quite as elegant as yours.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2007, 07:54 AM   #3
Major Player

And good thing you did too Bill! How bad are those floods up your end? I've spent a lot of holidays in Noosa, but I can't picture it flooded - can you test the rain jacket out and post up some footage of the flooding?
Mark Kenfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2008, 09:33 PM   #4
New Boot

Cheap rain jacket

What a good idea, Bill Watson. I have been meaning to do something like this for a long, long time. Thus inspired, I'm off to the camping shop!

Regards
Neal Reville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2008, 12:14 AM   #5
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pryor View Post
I carry a few plastic kitchen trash bags in my camea bag.
Good to know I'm not the only one! Always meant to get an "official" rain jacket, but the plastic kitchen trash bags are so handy. That nylon bag is a great idea, but I'm sticking with the trash bags, I end up using them for so many other things.
Old April 19th, 2008, 10:50 PM   #6
Tourist

rain cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Watson View Post
G'day all.

Went into my local camping store and bought a Sea to Summit 'Stuff Sack' ( http://www.seatosummit.com.au/showdetail.php?Code=ASS ) and cut the bottom out of it, sliced about two thirds along one side and, voila, a perfectly good rain jacket for my A1` for the cost of AUS$14.95!

It's waterproof coated nylon with a 'toggle' neck. Works a treat.

Oh. it's the 'Large' or 15L model.
Great work Bill. I am also from Noosa and trying to find out which 'local' camping store you bought it from? cheers, Sam
Sam Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2008, 04:29 AM   #7
Major Player

G'day Sam.

I got mine from 'The Happy Camper' but they went out of business a couple of months ago.

I would think, however, that 'Gone Camping' in Eumundi Road would also have them.
Bill Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2008, 05:38 AM   #8
Regular Crew

cheaper raincoat

Just watched the making of 'Deadliest Catch' they used large food bags with lens opening and lcd screen holes (sort of transparent blue), it might be noted that they start every season with new cameras and end up trashing them all
Roy Feldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 02:25 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Nice work Wato! I know the guys at Sea to Summit--I'll let them know, they'll be wrapped to be cited!
Jim Press is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2009, 06:04 PM   #10
Major Player

Putting mine to use for the first time tomorrow in light rain!
Peter Dunphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2009, 07:34 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Feldman View Post
Just watched the making of 'Deadliest Catch' they used large food bags with lens opening and lcd screen holes (sort of transparent blue), it might be noted that they start every season with new cameras and end up trashing them all
That's funny.... what cams do they use for the show? I same one grab of a cameraman hanging of the side of the boat getting smashed! I reckon they put themselves at greater risk than the fishermen.
Jonathan Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2009, 08:19 AM   #12
Major Player

The Sea to Summit 'Stuff Sack' worked a treat for me in light rain today. A bit fiddly to get to the controls but the camera was still operable. The only niggle was the rain drops being blown by wind into the lens - but I guess that can't be helped nomatter what raincover you use!

Anyway, I recommend this Sea to Summit 'Stuff Sack' for light rain - it could probably handle heavy rain too but I wouldn't want to risk it :o)

So long as it's not windy, you should be fine using this.
Peter Dunphy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders