Mic Mount BROKEN! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old August 31st, 2007, 01:29 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Mic Mount BROKEN!

Hey

Ok, not been on here for a while....which can only mean I've been soooo busy.

Has anyone else experienced a mishap with the design (fault) of the mic mount on the A1? AT FIRST I THOUGHT....HOW NICE OF THOSE CANON PEOPLE TO ADD AN INTERGRATED MIC MOUNT....then I had my accident!!!!!
I rested my A1 on a chair while sorting a few things out before a shoot...turned and knocked the darn thing over.....it fell around 6 inches....thats all....had a quick look...I thought nothing of it....and packed it away..However when I came to use it in situ I discovered "The Horror, The Horror" the Mic mount was loose....and had broken away from the main body of the Camera taking with it a small piece of the casing - where the srews attach the mic mount to the cam body.....I'm now mountless, and have patched up the small breakage/opening by the join with electrical tape..

My questions are......AM I THE ONLY ONE? How much would this cost to fix - a new outer casing (handle)....Is it worth fixing.. It's water tight just looks a bit goofy walking around with black tape on the handle...

Thanks...
Will Aldersley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2007, 08:17 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

The external microphone mount is definitely the weakest physical part of the XH series camcorders. If you search the forum, you'll find that the general recommendation is to remove it if you're not going to use it that much... and if you use it, be careful with it. I'm sorry to hear that yours broke in such a way as to take part of the body housing with it. If you're using your XH camcorder for business and are making money with it, I think you should go ahead and send it in for repair, as the camera will pay for itself. The morbid side of me wonders if you can upload a photo of the damage.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=89691
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=89095

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2007, 07:41 PM   #3
Major Player

I'm considering getting a Rode NGT-1 or NGT-2. Given the general recommendation tp remove the mount if you're not going to use it much, do you reccomend the Rode SM-3 shockmount, which I believe attaches to the hotshoe? Or the SM-5 shockmount, which I believe clamps to the external mic mount?
Stephen Sobel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2007, 11:24 AM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Depends entirely upon whether or not you need the shoe for other items...

Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2007, 03:23 PM   #5
Major Player

What's stopping you putting it back together with a dab of superglue?

In my experience those sort of breaks are jagged and uneven, perfect for a superglue join.

With a bit of luck it won't even be visible.
Bill Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2007, 07:37 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
Depends entirely upon whether or not you need the shoe for other items...
I used a light on my GL-2 once, and decided I didn't like the effect. I haven't seen any reviews or forum posts that have suggested it's a good idea to use a light on the XH-A1 either. Are there other items for which you use the shoe?
Stephen Sobel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 03:44 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Watson View Post
What's stopping you putting it back together with a dab of superglue?

In my experience those sort of breaks are jagged and uneven, perfect for a superglue join.

With a bit of luck it won't even be visible.

Yeah....tried it but damage is mainly to the internal thread cavity where the small screws attach the mount...There's absolutly no mechanical damage just a small ripe between the two joins on the handle casing. The electrical tape protects and hide it quite well...I'm just sooooo annoyed at myself...for doing it. I'm going to see how much it will cost to replace the handle casing part of it..

thanks all.
Will Aldersley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 07:13 AM   #8
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Sobel View Post
Are there other items for which you use the shoe?
Wireless mic receiver. Although there are a variety of other ways it can be mounted.

Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders