35mm Adaptor and lense advise needed - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old September 14th, 2007, 02:56 AM   #16
Major Player

Where would one get such a system?
Shiv Kumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2007, 07:47 AM   #17
Major Player

the adaptor places usually sell rails as well - brevis has a set, redrock etc.

I'm not sure about the letus however - and where people get the rails for those - I would send a note to Quyen (letus seller) and ask which are most compatible with his design - his main page product shot has a set of rails mounting the adaptor

Trish
Trish Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2007, 07:58 AM   #18
Major Player

Trish,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes Quyen has been extremely responsive. I ordered my Letus the night before and it was shipped last night. He's a night bird I think because we'd been corresponding at 3am.

I did send him an email asking him too.

I found someone who uses these:
http://www.indifocus.com/indiraILS.html
Old September 14th, 2007, 08:44 AM   #19
Major Player

FYI:

I just bought the 18" rails from http://indifocus.com
You also need to buy the "T" and strap or something. The "T" slides onto the rails and go over the Letus, the strap goes over the letus thus supporting the weight of the letus (on the "T") and keeping it in place (strap). The mounting is such that you can still swap out the 35mm lens is needed while it's all mounted. Or so I was told.

The best thing to do is call and talk to Tim, since at this point you don't see the "T" on their website so there is no way to order it online. Once you tell Tim you need to support the Letus he knows exactly what you need over and above the rails.
Old September 14th, 2007, 09:54 AM   #20
Contributor

Trish, I think with any of the 35mm adapters, plus any 35mm lens, you're doubling the length of the camera's lens, at least, and the farther out you hang a weight, even a small one, the more it's going to stress the mount. I really wouldn't want to use one without rails. Just because you can doesn't mean you should (sorta like the built-in mic, or high gain...just because you can....)
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2007, 01:02 PM   #21
Major Player

I have been using the letus 35FE without rails with no issue for the camera, BUT, the letus will encounter a problem without the rails unless you hold the letus for support while shooting. The aluminum thread ring that threads the letus into the A1 female threads WILL pull out of the letus when screwed into the A1. The weight of the letus, though not much, will cause it to come loose. The thread ring is NOT sealed or glued into the body of the letus. There is a reason for this...it is to allow the thread ring to rotate inside the letus for proper positioning on the A1. You have to tighten the letus to the A1 so it will not move while you are shooting. You may tighten the letus and find that the picture is somewhat sideways and you need to turn the letus more or less to align it. Well, if the thread ring was already tight, you couldn't adjust it properly. Therefore, you can turn the body of the letus while the thread ring remains tight in the A1 and align it properly. I recommend once you do this, you mark the thread ring with the body of the letus so you can then remove the thread ring and either glue or add paper shims to tighten the threadring to the body of the letus. You obviously do not want to get caught up in a shot and loose the letus onto the ground. Therefore, the support rods will certainly provide some safety to that effect. I also recommend using a clear lens protector over the A1 lens that has female threads on the outer side so you can leave the lens protector in place and thread the Letus into the lens protector instead of the A1. That way if you mis-align it and it scratches the lens protector, you can get another one. However, if you misalign it and scratch your A1 lens (which is Way TOO EASY to do), you will have to send it to Canon for about 1200 bucks or more in repairs. I speak from experience. Fortunately, my camera was so new, the retailer took it back and gave me another new one. The lens of the A1 is all the way out to the end of the housing, VERY easy to scratch...I am telling you all, please..use a clear lens protector prior to attempting to screw the letus or any other adaptor to your A1. Hope this helps! J
John L. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2007, 03:09 PM   #22
Major Player

yikes - starting to feel like it's having a land mine attached to the end of the camera : )

Thanks for the heads up on the caveats. Definitely worth sharing to avoid unnecessary catastrophies. I've had a neutral density filter on the camera since the first week - definitely don't want to scratch the lens. Nevermind if it's 1200 in the U.S. to fix it, I'd be loathe to find out the Canadian price...

For Bill's comment - I wonder if strain on the mount would even be noticeable before it was too late!

Trish
Trish Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2007, 04:34 PM   #23
Contributor

A lot of it would depend on how you handle the camera. As John's post said, he braces it with one hand. Still, you know these cameras are definitely not over-engineered in the structural integrity department. Even a big sturdy 2/3" chip camera with a B4 lens mount can have the mount broken off if somebody swings around and clips the foot-long zoom in a door jamb or something. I've seen that happen.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders