Stable footage - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old October 6th, 2007, 10:14 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Steve do you see the bar to the right of the rendering screen go red? I think it has to stay green or you run into problems with blurred sections that it can't smooth out. I had the same problem and realized the clip just had too much motion.
Old October 6th, 2007, 12:16 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cronin View Post
Steve do you see the bar to the right of the rendering screen go red? I think it has to stay green or you run into problems with blurred sections that it can't smooth out. I had the same problem and realized the clip just had too much motion.
Paul,

The little green bar on the lower right of the screen never turns red and it doesn't go above 1/4 the way up maximum, so I dont really think its because too much movement. Im just trying to smooth out a little shake while using my monopod because I accidently had the in-camera stabilization turned off.

Thats why I was curious, there is noticable blurryness and abberations even though I am not having the program resize the image. Are you keeping the same quailty resolution when using HDV footage?

Thanks
Steve Montoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2007, 12:57 PM   #18
Inner Circle

What settings are you using?

I am away from my editing machine so I don't know the exact settings. The settings I remember are the NTSC top field first, on the pull down options up top I use the third down that says (intense rendering), then in the bottom right I choose upscale to remove border. I can check all the settings in detail tomorrow.

I have not delivered HDV with Marcalli used on the clips. I have delivered HDV down converted to DVD and the results were excellent. This coming week I am looking into how much is lost in HD.
Old October 6th, 2007, 01:30 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
What settings are you using?

I am away from my editing machine so I don't know the exact settings. The settings I remember are the NTSC top field first, on the pull down options up top I use the third down that says (intense rendering), then in the bottom right I choose upscale to remove border. I can check all the settings in detail tomorrow.

I have not delivered HDV with Marcalli used on the clips. I have delivered HDV down converted to DVD and the results were excellent. This coming week I am looking into how much is lost in HD.

Paul,

I have used both the HDV upper field first and the Premiere CS3 setting, I also use the 3rd down (intensive). I also have used all of the different border settings to the same effect. (sporatic blurryness ect.) I am monitoring the output via a 23" LCD samsung so the effect is quite pernounced. If you are not noticing any loss of resolution or some weird motion blur effect, I wonder what the problem could be.

Are you applying the effect to HDV then rendering and downconverting to DV or are you applying the Mercalli to the DV that was downconverted? Yes if you find out any info on resolution loss on HDV in your tests let me know.
Old October 7th, 2007, 10:39 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Steve,

Still out of the office on a shoot and it looks like I will not be at the editing machine till tomorrow afternoon.

I do edit HDV then add the effect prior to rendering out to DVD.

Will look into it more and let you know what I find.
Old October 7th, 2007, 10:46 AM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Steve,

Still out of the office on a shoot and it looks like I will not be at the editing machine till tomorrow afternoon.

I do edit HDV then add the effect prior to rendering out to DVD.

Will look into it more and let you know what I find.

Thanks Paul.
Old October 7th, 2007, 11:36 AM   #22
Ruler of the DownUnder UnderWorld

Prodad's new Mercalli is great.

Here is a 1280/720 wmv before and after underwater shot straight out of an EDIUS HDV timeline.

BEFORE
http://www.hdvunderwater.com/prodad/shaky2a.wmv

AFTER
http://www.hdvunderwater.com/prodad/shaky2.wmv

So easy and very quick to use.
Paul Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2007, 08:44 AM   #23
Inner Circle

Steve,

Here are my settings.
Profiles: Precise Image stabilization (intensive rendering)
Video-Format: Top Field First (NTSC)
Compare View: Final Result
Motion Detection: max at more valid
Important picture area: Neutral
Special Video Analysis: Detect Fast Motions
Particular Distinguishing Characteristics: Also detect object contours
Camera Stabilization: Smooth
Camera balance: In balance
Camera Motion: Also tilt compensation
Border area: Without Border (upscale) Min

After looking at Paul's clip and looking at many on my timeline with Mercalli it does soften the clips in HDV. If there is too much motion I can see blurred sections. But for $119 it seems well worth the money. Nothing beats stable footage off the camera.
Old October 8th, 2007, 11:03 AM   #24
Major Player

I noticed the same thing in some clips of my timeline. I guess that is just matter of find a happy mid of stabilization vs picture quality. For the price I don't mind since there is not too many filter options out there.
Jose Ortiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2007, 05:00 PM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Ortiz View Post
I noticed the same thing in some clips of my timeline. I guess that is just matter of find a happy mid of stabilization vs picture quality. For the price I don't mind since there is not too many filter options out there.
I was just wondering If I was crazy or not, everyone else had great things to say about it, I wondered if I had a problem. I still bought it, because your right its the only thing out really... and its not terrible. The only thing I dont like is that there is no 1-800 for tech support you have to wait for an overseas email for correspondance.

Thanks for your tests and input fellas!

Steve
Old October 13th, 2007, 01:22 PM   #26
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Wags View Post
Prodad's new Mercalli is great.

Here is a 1280/720 wmv before and after underwater shot straight out of an EDIUS HDV timeline.
Based on how it handles your footage, it looks like it does an amazing job and really not overly pricey either. Thanks
Jeff Mahar is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders