Loves my A-1's, BUT! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old September 20th, 2007, 02:09 PM   #16
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikko Lopponen View Post
I don't agree. I've had some dropouts with my hc1 and some of them can be captured again correctly, some cannot be. But none of them happen because of my pc.
If you have a "dropout" upon capture but then can do it again and it captures OK, then it's not a dropout. It's an issue between the computer and the camera. Could be a firewire cable, or something else. But it's not a dropout. If there's a dropout on the tape it's permanent.

I've shot more than 50 hours of tapes with my XH A1, and am familiar with footage from 2 others in town and none of us has seen a dropout at all. Using Panasonic AMQ tapes.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2007, 11:10 AM   #17
New Boot

Location: Berrien Springs, MI (Now spending most of my days in Vietnam)
"Dropouts" - Breaks? "Intermittent Interuptions?"

I too have been experiencing what seems like "dropout" issues with the XHA1 and Panasonic AY-DVPQs and MQs. The MQs say right on the housing "for HDV" so I thought I should at least be OK with them...

I first noticed the problem this summer while on a remote international shoot using only the PQs. The biggest problems seem to occur on the first ten minutes of each tape where I would get dozens of dropouts. I had gotten these tapes from a vender that I had never used before, and when I tested tapes from my regular vender when I got home, with no apparent problems, I chalked it up to a grey market tape stock issue. But, I just got back from another shoot, using the MQ tape from my regular supplier and while some of the tapes are capturing without a glitch, others are showing 20 - 25 errors a tape. The strange thing is if I capture the tape again, I get about the same amount of errors, but not necessarily in the same spots!

I question the statement that it can be blamed on a capture issue, cable, or hard drive speed, etc. My software will stop the auto capture process when that happens.... Mine keeps on capturing, simply making a divide in the clips as though it was a new clip, loosing of course about 5 seconds of material. Not so critical on B-roll, but not nice during interviews ….

If I use the camera to capture, the flip out screen on the camera, as well as the confirm monitor on the computer, goes beige at the same point as the glitch, indicating that it is a playback issue, not a capture issue. The really strange thing is that on the problem tapes, it does not happen at the same points on the tape if I capture it the second time.... So, while you may be right that it cannot technically be a "dropout" on the tape, something else is causing “intermittent interruptions” or "breaks" during playback on some tapes, where the problem is repeatable, but not on the exact frame.

Someone else said that they were having the same problem with 2 A1's which makes me concerned about my next purchase. I have another international shoot coming up where I need a reliable system. I doub't there will be time to send my unit in for repairs before I go. I don't mind ordering another A1 as they are cheap enough, and I have come to like the camera and the images I am getting, when everything works. I just don't want to order another one if this problem seems to be symptomatic of this particular camera.... Enough people are reporting the problem that it makes me suspicious ….

Frank
Stock Video: www.pond5.com
Frank Spangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2007, 11:16 AM   #18
Contributor

If you simply play back the tapes in the camera, watching in your viewfinder or flipout screen, do you see any problem?
Old September 24th, 2007, 03:14 PM   #19
New Boot

OK, On closer inspection, the breaks do hapen in the same places, almost every time, not as random as I previously reported. When just playung back, the scene freezes over the area of the break. It looks like a tape issue, or a dirty head or something. It is funny that I never had one dropuout for the first 3 months of using the camera and now I am getting quite a few.

What are the recomendations? Send it in for cleaning? Switch to Sony HDV tapes? Clean my self with cleaning tape and forced air as some here suggested?

thanks

frank
Old September 24th, 2007, 03:21 PM   #20
Contributor

I'd use the cleaning tape first. Read the directions and use it according to the directions--overuse is not good, although sometimes if the gunk doesn't go away they may say to use it a second time.

Did you use the cleaning tape when you first got the camera? That's one of those things you're supposed to do. I 've been using Panasonic AMQ tapes and haven't seen a dropout yet. I run the cleaning tape after I've been shooting in dusty situations and after about every 50 hours of recording.
Old September 25th, 2007, 05:18 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikko Lopponen View Post
I don't agree. I've had some dropouts with my hc1 and some of them can be captured again correctly, some cannot be. But none of them happen because of my pc.
some drop outs i find are recorded ones [ie they show all the time where recorded on]smetimes i get play back ones that just show up but if the tape is replayed over the same spot do not show again,this is with sony premiums as the amount i get has not tempted me to hd tapes as of yet. the play back drop outs are nothing to do with the pc as it can happen playing to tv as well.
Chris Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2007, 06:28 AM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pryor View Post
If you have a "dropout" upon capture but then can do it again and it captures OK, then it's not a dropout. It's an issue between the computer and the camera. Could be a firewire cable, or something else. But it's not a dropout. If there's a dropout on the tape it's permanent.
It's a CAMERA dropout even if it doesn't do it again. The reading isn't always perfect. But the issue is not the computer in this case. This is isn't your simple firewire connection problem etc, the dropout is EXACTLY the same as when the camera couldn't read a frame or two. Meaning the GOP is broken but audio continues fully etc.
Mikko Lopponen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2007, 06:30 AM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hull View Post
the play back drop outs are nothing to do with the pc as it can happen playing to tv as well.
Exactly! That's what I meant.
Mikko Lopponen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2007, 09:00 AM   #24
New Boot

Normal?

Is this dropout issue normal with the HDV format - just something you have to live with, or are some cameras better then others? Form now on, when shooting interviews domestically, I think that I will be covering myself by firewiring to a backup deck. But, on my international shoots where I often shoot in remote villages, that may not be a good option.... A second battery opperated camera, perhaps??? I hate to have to carry a second camera around .... Getting the one, along with my still cameras, laptop, hard drives on to airline carryon, is becoming more and more of a challenge!
Old September 25th, 2007, 09:56 AM   #25
Major Player

Hi again,

Well I went in to Canon Service in Toronto today to pick up my camera. They told me that the problem wasn't with the camera but with the tape and that they cleaned the head, which is very hard for me to BELIEVE!!
They also told me not to use DAMEGED tape in the camera, first of all I always use brand new tapes secondlly which idiot will use a damaged tape with his/her camera.

I am going to run some tests in the next few days and will let you all know.

By the way should I change tapes to Sony or to stick with Panasonic AMQs??????????
Let me know guys!!

Matthew
Old October 15th, 2007, 07:32 PM   #26
Major Player

Did you change to Sony or stick with Panasonic AMQs?
Stephen Sobel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2007, 12:32 AM   #27
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pryor View Post
Did you use the cleaning tape when you first got the camera? That's one of those things you're supposed to do.

Well since this thread was resurrected, I thought I'd make a comment as stated before by several people on here. If there was anything to the "use a cleaning tape before 1st use", I wonder why manufacturers haven't included that in manuals or at least some sort of additional literature.

Just curious.

Bill
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2007, 05:48 AM   #28
Major Player

I found out that the original Canon HDV tapes are all made by Sony. Therefore, I changed my tapes from Panasonic to Sony HDV tapres and Iam very happy no more problems.

Thanks
Matthew

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders