condensation at sea at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old September 20th, 2007, 07:03 PM   #1
Regular Crew

condensation at sea

I just got back from a cruise and found a problem with condensation. Several times I had a problem with an temporarly non-working camera. Both times I had left the tape in the camera and went from an air-conditioned space into the outdoors. Both times I had to wait about an hour for the camera to allow the tape to be inserted. Hated to miss the sunset I was trying to shoot. And sitting on a wall in the sun the other day was not much fun.

Has anyone found a way to make the transition from conditioned space to a humid environment with little delay?
Old September 20th, 2007, 07:20 PM   #2
Major Player

Hah! Man, I feel your pain.
I shoot a lot of tropical destinations and resorts.
Condensation was a huge problem for me.

What I do is keep bags of silica gel in all of my cases.
I wake up about an hour earlier than needed and put the
camera in a plastic bag with the gel outside on my balcony/patio..then go back to sleep. obviously, i wouldn't do this at some flea bag motel, but you get the idea. one hour, plastic bag, silica gel while the cam gets used to the temp.
Eric Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2007, 07:55 PM   #3
Major Player

You will likely achieve the same results without the silica gel since, as you rightly suggest, the key is to let the camera reach thermal equilibrium with the ambient environment. Once that is achieved, water vapor in the atmosphere won't condense onto the camera.

Might save having to hump silica gel around - especially through airport security.
John Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2007, 06:03 AM   #4
Major Player

Try an electric blanket. Has always worked for me.

Jim
Jim Montgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2007, 11:21 AM   #5
Wrangler

Just had this same problem in the Philippines. I ended up assigning one camera to the air conditioned rooms, and one for outdoor use only. We debated turning off the air conditioner, but summer heat & humidity in the Philippines is brutal.
Old September 21st, 2007, 01:14 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks for the ideas

I suspected that maintaining or getting the camera into thermal equilibrium would do the trick. I'm glad I learned of the problem on vacation and not "on a job". I suspect that if I had used my Pelican case (lots of insulation) on the trip I would have lessened the problem. Once again thanks to the DVIN readers.

Gregg
Old September 22nd, 2007, 05:54 AM   #7
Wrangler

If the camcorder is colder than the dew point of the air you are in you will get condensation. No way to avoid it other than keeping the camcorder warmer, giving it time to warm up, or perhaps using an underwater case and trusting that the lens opening will not present a problem with condensation on it

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders