Recording computer's screen-help! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old September 22nd, 2007, 07:04 PM   #1
New Boot

Recording computer's screen-help!

I'm about to finish my project which implies recording from the computer's display. Instead of making a time consuming CG with the whole explanation process, i'd rather prefer to capture the screen.
I've only tried to record the image via fire-wire port, which I sincerely doubt that can carry video signal.

Does anyone know how can I connect the camera to the monitor/video card in order capture the computer's screen? What type of cables do I need?

I work on a Mac Quad with the standard dual DVI video card. My EIZO monitor also has a spare DVI port and USB. Unfortunately I wasn't able to find connectors DVI to --> any camera's input.

Any input is gold in hand! I've already missed the deadline!
Thanks.
Petre Nicolescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2007, 07:57 PM   #2
Major Player

Does your dual video card have an S-video output? If so, then if you can clone the main display so that it appears on the S-video output, you can simply record it with any analog recorder or a DV camcorder with S-video input.

I don't know the Mac world - this is something that is quite common on Windows. The graphics hardware is the same, so I suspect you can.

If that option doesn't work, you can either get a dedicated hardware box that will convert the monitor's signal to a regular video one.

Finally, and least preferable, you can shoot the display with your camera. You have to make sure you set the display's refresh rate and the camera's shutter speed such that you don't see rolling bands of brighter video.
John Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2007, 09:35 PM   #3
New Boot

Hi John. Thank you for the reply.
I forgot to mention that I own a canon XH A1 but I assumed that being a Canon XHG1/A1 forum implies that my camera is one of them. Sorry!
Anyway, neither the camera nor the video card have S-Video input/output capabilities and considering another camera for this job is out of question.
It's pretty lame that I'm stuck in such a minor thing after spending £2.4k on the camera and almost £3K on the computer.
I really don't want to invest any more in any equipment. I would only buy cables or connectors for a while :)
Framing the display could be a way to sort it out eventually, but I try to avoid this method as much as I can.
Thank you.
Old September 22nd, 2007, 09:41 PM   #4
Contributor

You're trying to capture what's on your computer screen? An easy way to do it is with screen capture software, and there's some great stuff that works with a Mac for only around $60. It's SnapZ pro:

http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/snapzprox/

With the Mac you can capture at a 10 bit animation if you want, keeping the high resolution of the screen. Drop it in the timeline and edit just like captured video (except there's a pretty hefty render on the 10 bit).

If you're only capturing still shots off the screen, just use the screen grab software the Mac already has. Grab the screen, drop it into your timeline.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2007, 09:54 PM   #5
New Boot

Hi Bill. Thank you very much for your input. I tried last month such a software (i can't remember the name. It was smth very obvious). I downloaded a demo version and it really sucked.
My old iMac G5 1.8 GHz with 2 GB RAM was processing every mouse movement incredibly slow. I'm afraid that the SnapZ software won't do the job either since the resolution on the new monitor is 1900x1200.
Thanks again.
Old September 23rd, 2007, 09:49 AM   #6
Regular Crew

As a last resort, can you not use the "Clear Scan" setting on the A1 and simply shoot the screen with the cam?
Dearl Golden is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders