A1- How do you get 24f back in fcp? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old September 25th, 2007, 08:15 PM   #1
Tourist

A1- How do you get 24f back in fcp?

I have captured 24f footage to my fcp 5.1.4, however as I understand it is automatically converted to 30f w/ a sequence of iipppiipppiippp... with the 2nd "i" being a duplicate of the first. I am new to using hd and the whole process. Now I have read about cinema tools and the jes deinterlacer, but have unsuccessfully switched it back to 24f. Can someone please help me with the process (step by step), what programs/settings I should use. Or if you know a thread or site that gives step by step instructions for the a1, I would greatly appreciate it.

Just to let you know what I have tried from another thread that I read... opened up a clip in quicktime, deleted the first two duplicate frames, saved it, opened up cinema tools to use reverse telecine, however the button was not available, and when I used it from the menu bar on top it said there was an error about the clip not being ntsc or something like that. That is really the only thing I have read that has given a step by step. Please Help!! Thanks
Jared Shaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2007, 09:22 PM   #2
Contributor

Go to your Easy Setup and pick the 1080P24 HDV setting. That will capture a true 24 frames per second. If you edit in a 23.98 timeline, it will stay that way with no need for rendering until your final output, which it calls "conforming" instead of rendering. The 24f footage is progressive, so there is no deinterlacing to be done. If you captured in 30f, dump all that and start the capture over with the 1080P24 HDV Easy Setup.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2007, 09:55 PM   #3
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pryor View Post
Go to your Easy Setup and pick the 1080P24 HDV setting. That will capture a true 24 frames per second. If you edit in a 23.98 timeline, it will stay that way with no need for rendering until your final output, which it calls "conforming" instead of rendering. The 24f footage is progressive, so there is no deinterlacing to be done. If you captured in 30f, dump all that and start the capture over with the 1080P24 HDV Easy Setup.

I did use the 1080P24 HDV easy setup to capture the 24f footage, but when you click through frame by frame on fcp, every fourth frame repeats itself. You mentioned making sure I am editing in a 23.98 timeline, is that something I change, and how can I?
Jared Shaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2007, 10:14 PM   #4
Tourist

I figured it out. I went to audio/video setting, sequence settings, and chose the 1080p24 sequence settings which change the timeline to 23.98. Thanks for letting me know you could change the timeline. One other question though.... I am not giving the customer the product in hd, but rather sd, however I heard quality is much better if you edit your footage in hd and converting it later, rather than downconverting it upon capturing... is this accurate?
Jared Shaffer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders