Good Tripod System for XH A1 and LetusFE at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old September 26th, 2007, 09:10 PM   #1
New Boot

Good Tripod System for XH A1 and LetusFE

I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a good support system for an xh A1 and a letus on the front? Or do I even need to worry about the whole rig being too front heavy in the first place? I'm looking at a lower priced bogen (3130 fluid head on a 190XB) or a davis and sanford pro vista. Thanks!
Ben Waller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2007, 04:26 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I bought Miller.

I am a professional ENG photographer by trade, and work on a tripod all day every day.

Worked with Sachtler, Vinten, Peter Lisand, O'Conner, and all the rest.

Miller tripods are the best. Period. If you can afford one, they're the best.

I had to spend an extra $200 for one. Had to.

Shoot every day on an Arrow 30, and I love it. Best, most durable tripod I've ever owned.
Alex Lucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2007, 07:36 PM   #3
Contributor

I have an O'Connor 50 I bought in 1985 that still works like new, but it's a bit overkill for the XH A1; I use it with a DSR500 and some dockables. I also use a Gitzo 1338 for a DSR250, and it would be good for the XH A1. You can get a Gitzo with a lesser spring for lighter cameras. The one I have is for something like 10-22 pounds. Your camera wth the Letus, and a long lens and rods and all will probably approach 10 pounds. The Gitzo is around $!500. An O'Connor for this camera would probably be $4,000 or so. Miller and Sachtler have some lighter weight ones under $3K.

You might also look at Libec. I have a really lightweight Libec 22 I bought for the XH A1 because I wanted something light and small for shooting quick and dirty interviews. It would be undersized for your setup, but Libec has larger models. I'm impressed with their quality for the money, although they're not in the same class as the more expensive setups. I think the 38 is only about $700. Be sure you get a tripod with a 75mm ball head, at least. A 100mm is better but heavier and costlier. The cheapo Bogen you mention probably is not going to cut it. I think the cheapest good quality tripod would be a Gitzo, followed by one of the lower end Sachtlers. Also make sure it has a sliding plate so you can balance your load, otherwise it's going to be way too nose-heavy. Most tripods are rated assuming the load is balanced fore and aft. If you get a professional tripod you also will have to buy Canon's quick release tripod adapter plate because the camera comes with a cheesy 1/4" threaded tripod socket like a still camera, and the standard size for professional tripods is 3/8", although some like the smaller Libec have 1/4". The adapter plate allows you to use the Canon on any tripod head. I think it's about $135.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2007, 03:44 PM   #4
Regular Crew

i have read a lot of good reviews about arrow 30
Mickey Mackwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2007, 12:10 PM   #5
Major Player

I have a Pro-Vista with whatever head came with it, maybe a F-10 or F-12. I got it when I needed an extra tripod for a project and went cheap (was maybe on sale @ B&H for $149 w/case)

The Pro-Vista is a very heavy, but stable tripod, especially for the price. Not worth a dang for field work, it is way too heavy and tall when fully compacted. The heads on these things are a "get what you pay for" thing, but usable with practice.

For a good and cheap Davis & Sanford tripod, get the Compact Gear model. It is light & small enough for taking most places and is quick to setup. It is only about $250 with the factory head (which is usable but you really have to upgrade for a good & cheap setup).

Most cheap video heads (ie: the D&S F-10) are based on a balanced camera, there is no balance adjustment system. The XH-A1 is normally in balance and actually works pretty good with the cheap heads. With a front heavy camera you will be flopping forward every time you let go. At least D&S made the heads with a limit to forward travel so the lens dosent bang on the legs or post.

If you are wanting a good cheap tripod and will upgrade later, D&S is probably the best of the cheap ones. If you are going to start out with something nice, listen to the other guys.
Old October 1st, 2007, 02:29 PM   #6
Major Player

The Pro Vista is heavy but very cheap for that smooth, fluid head.

I use Libec. They are still quite cheap, very fluid, and most important for me..light as hell.
Eric Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2007, 03:19 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Weiss View Post
The Pro Vista is heavy but very cheap for that smooth, fluid head.

I use Libec. They are still quite cheap, very fluid, and most important for me..light as hell.
I would love to have a really light setup, but don't want to spent the ~$1,200 for it. Some of those Miller carbon fiber legs would be awesome!

Im not sure if that was sarcasm or not on the Pro-Vista head, but Im guessing sarcasm.

But, if you replace the head on the Pro-Vista or Compact-Gear legs with something like the Bogen 503HDV, you have a great, $500ish mid-weight setup.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...luid_Head.html
Old October 1st, 2007, 03:26 PM   #8
Contributor

I got the Libec 22 for my XH A1 because I wanted a small, light tripod (I have access to a larger and heavier Gitzo) for quick in-and-out interview shots. It's very smooth but marginal and takes some care to be steady at the end of a move. There's a Libec 38 that's only about $700 and is significantlly better if you want something a little heavier but still in the lightweight category.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2007, 03:52 PM   #9
Major Player

Jeff, I wasn't being sarcastic...for once.
I have the Pro Vista. I use it for in-studio work like product shots or recipes.
For me, it's really too heavy with the A1 and WA to be dragging all over the place.

I use the Libec in the field. I cover a lot of resorts and destinations for travel segments and b-roll. My set up is well under 20 lbs and really easy to travel with.
Eric Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2007, 07:13 PM   #10
Major Player

I had to pick up an extra decent pod last month. Mathews M25. $180. Friction head, but it's pretty good. If you are in a jam the Mathews is a deal. Not as good as a $1,500 legs and head, but it's $180. MUCH better than my Manfroto 501 Pro (which isn't pro no matter how much metal you pack around the head unit...... sticks, wobbles and grabs like crazy.)

Mathews used to be a subcontractor for Libec heads and pods, but Libec is apparently outsourcing to another company now. So if you thought Libec was OK, this is a similar pod for about 50% of the price.
Alex Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2007, 08:45 PM   #11
Major Player

The MAthews has great reviews. It's sold out at B&H. I was going to replace a Libec with it. I also need something with a really smooth pan.

Anyone use this Cartoni?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...eo_Tripod.html

It's only 10lbs and seems ideal.
Eric Weiss is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders