2 XH-a1's FreeRun TimeCode + Capturing at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old September 27th, 2007, 07:09 AM   #1
Regular Crew

2 XH-a1's FreeRun TimeCode + Capturing

If I used 2 xh-a1s in Freerun to keep their time code synced (as close as I can anyway) will there be problems capturing in FCP (or PP CS3) with all of the time code breaks?
Ryan Szulczewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2007, 11:37 AM   #2
Major Player

I just finish a wedding using PPCS3 and worked fine. On the cS2 versionn I had a lot of issues capturing using this method with the A1. So far in this new version at least for this project, the Free run worked perfect.

We will see later
Jose Ortiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2007, 12:19 PM   #3
Regular Crew

That is good to hear as I will probably go the CS3 route once I can afford to build my editing station.
Old September 28th, 2007, 01:00 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I am wondering if anyone has done this with FCP and then used the clips to make an "instant multicam" clip.
Michael Friedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2007, 06:43 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Once I get my cameras I will try a test run at work and see how FCP handles it.
Old September 28th, 2007, 09:39 AM   #6
Contributor

If you're talking about time code starting and stopping and then picking up at a different time code because the clock is running, FCP won't have a problem with that. Time code breaks, however, are a different story. Those are when you take a tape out, reinsert it and then don't pick up where there is already a video signal. There's no good excuse to do that, but people do it all the time, and FCP definitely does not like that.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2007, 09:58 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Every so often when we review footage in the field and cue the tape up with the return function, FCP will freak out in capture.

It appears that the actual Time Code numbers don't matter as long as there is a continuous video signal.

Last edited by Ryan Szulczewski; September 28th, 2007 at 09:58 AM. Reason: grammar
Old September 28th, 2007, 10:27 AM   #8
Contributor

What happens there is that when you recue you are going past the end of the last shot and there is a gap in the video signal, and FCP (as well as Avid in my experience) really doesn't like that one bit. If you use the end search button the camera should recue automatically and stay in the video. However, I always make sure there is 5-10 seconds of rundown at the end of a scene before I watch any footage so I can recue manually without cutting into the take. Also, if you take the tape out and reinsert it, the auto recue won't work anymore, so you need rundown.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2007, 10:42 AM   #9
Regular Crew

I got you. Thanks for your help, Bill.
Ryan Szulczewski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders