Can the sun screw up my A1? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old September 29th, 2007, 01:41 PM   #1
New Boot

Can the sun screw up my A1?

I've been filming a lot of sunrises and sun close-ups lately. Could the sun cause any damage to the A1 or lens? Should I avoid any shutter speeds or f stops?

I have the following UV filter attached: http://www.vistek.ca/details/details...WebCode=102742

I'm sure its fine since I see many sunrise videos posted here, but I'm always paranoid about damaging that thing.
Nick Mora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2007, 05:47 PM   #2
Major Player

I’ve shot literally thousands of sunrises/sunsets across GL, XL, and now XH cams and never experienced a problem. My general rule is… if you can look at it, you can film it.

I actually just returned from Puerto Vallarta covering turtle releases at sunset.
Really amazing sunsets there. That AA plane that caught fire yesterday was my connection in Chicago..so it took forever to get home.
Eric Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2007, 12:06 AM   #3
Regular Crew

yes the sun can damage your A1. But like Eric said, if you can look at it, then you can probably shoot it. The intensity of the sun during sunset and sunrise is very low and you will be fine. But pointing it at the sun mid-day is not wise....plus, there shouldnt even be a reason to do so in the first place.
Wes Powell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2007, 09:29 AM   #4
New Boot

I shot from about 6:30am to 8:30 which is well past sunrise. By 8 it was getting pretty hard to look at so I guess I should have stopped there. I'll have to watch out for that next time.

Thanks guys.
Nick Mora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2007, 11:02 AM   #5
Wrangler

Also, see page 18 of your user's manual.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2007, 11:18 PM   #6
Regular Crew

What can possibly happen if you do point the camera at the sun?
I recently shot few interviews for my project and two of them were shot from low angle pointing up that the person speaking is blocking the sun. I wanted that look for this particular project. Iris wide open for the person to be visible and it is around 2pm in august.
Obviously sometimes, when the person moved a bit, the sun was right into my lens for few seconds or even a minute during setup.
What can happen and would it be obvious for me to see rather than confusing it with just camera's weak side (I'm new to video and own A1 for only few months)
Konrad Czystowski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders