Help Panasonic dvx100 vs xha1 in multi camera setup at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old October 2nd, 2007, 06:49 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Help Panasonic dvx100 vs xha1 in multi camera setup

Just wondering if i could get a similar picture with these two cameras on a multi camera shoot? ( dvx100 vs xha1) we will be shooting 16:9 on both and the dvx will be 24p and the A1 will be 24f. Both in SD. I know there is a dvx preset but im afraid its going to look very different. I might do a test shoot soon just wanted to see what the community thinks or if they have seen it done. Thanks the help
Brent Goodale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2007, 07:19 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

A test shoot is absolutely the single best way, and the safest way to proceed. The XH A1 has a greater degree of image adjustment than the DVX100, so I would recommend first setting up your DVX100 the way you want it, and then dialing in the XH A1 to match. Whatever you do, spend plenty of time testing and matching before your shoot, and by all means please report back and tell us about your settings.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2007, 07:19 AM   #3
Major Player

Shoot HDV on the XH-A1?

Have a look at previous postings about XH-A1 SD recording quality. I seem to remember various comments suggesting it's better to shoot HDV and either down-convert in camera (good but not perfect) or on your editing computer, either before or after editing, depending what works best in your system.

Run some tests, and let us know...
Old October 2nd, 2007, 06:46 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
A test shoot is absolutely the single best way, and the safest way to proceed. The XH A1 has a greater degree of image adjustment than the DVX100, so I would recommend first setting up your DVX100 the way you want it, and then dialing in the XH A1 to match. Whatever you do, spend plenty of time testing and matching before your shoot, and by all means please report back and tell us about your settings.

You are right thats what i planed on doing. The A1 was going to be used as the 2nd cam. I know its sounds weird that the dvx would be the prim camera but the situation is kind of odd. If i do a setup i will most def. be posting my information on here with a sample. I owe it to the community :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Fry View Post
Have a look at previous postings about XH-A1 SD recording quality. I seem to remember various comments suggesting it's better to shoot HDV and either down-convert in camera (good but not perfect) or on your editing computer, either before or after editing, depending what works best in your system.

Run some tests, and let us know...
It is better to shoot hdv then down convert. The best way i have done was to just make a sd timeline and drop it in. Also this is going to be editing with avid express so the work flow will be different than with fcp. I didn't think that avid supports HDV from the hxa1 yet? anyone know? FCP is nice because can just play it from the cam to digitize. It seems that with avid people need to put their footage on a different tape ( betacam?) then import that way..... thanks for the suggestions.

Brent G

Last edited by Brent Goodale; October 2nd, 2007 at 11:13 PM.
Old October 2nd, 2007, 10:58 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Goodale View Post
Also this is going to be editing with avid express so the workflow will be difft inerent than with fcp. I didnt think that avid supports HDV from the hxa1 yet? anyone know? FCP is nice because can just play it from the cam to digitize. It seems that with avid people need to put their footage on a different tape ( betacam?) then import that way..... thanks for the suggestions.
Canon's frame modes aren't supported yet, as far as I know. But HDV 1080i can be captured even though there's no machine template.

Bill
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2007, 11:16 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Also, the dvx100 does not have a 16:9-native chip which causes an anamorphic 16:9 where my A1 is native. Hey Bill, what do you mean "But HDV 1080i can be captured even though there's no machine template" You really can capture hdv 1080i? Does it need to be at 29.97?
Old October 3rd, 2007, 12:13 AM   #7
Major Player

Yes. Only 29.97. Just no frame modes (24f or 30f)

Bill
Old October 3rd, 2007, 02:21 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Goodale View Post
...I didn't think that avid supports HDV from the hxa1 yet? ...
Latest version of Avid Liquid (7.2) accepts all frame rates from the XH-A1 but will only print 50i or 60i back to tape. I would expect that any NLE that handles HDV would accept 50i/60i. It's only the "f" modes that are non-standard, surely?
Old October 3rd, 2007, 02:37 AM   #9
Major Player

Avid Liquid is a completely different product that has supported Canon's frame mode for sometime now. And that alone has always baffled me why Avid hasn't implemented frame modes in their main line products. But then they're known for dragging their rear ends on stuff.

Actually Avid Liquid is being thrown back to their Pinnacle division for support just recently.

Bill
Old October 3rd, 2007, 10:43 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Busby View Post
Avid Liquid is a completely different product that has supported Canon's frame mode for sometime now. And that alone has always baffled me why Avid hasn't implemented frame modes in their main line products. But then they're known for dragging their rear ends on stuff.

Actually Avid Liquid is being thrown back to their Pinnacle division for support just recently.

Bill
Yes, I realise it's a different program, with a different development team (in Germany), but thought it might be a viable alternative while Xpress is lacking that feature. Actually, if it's only the capture that's a problem, you could use a (relatively) cheap program like Pinnacle Studio to get the footage out of the camera and into standard 24p m2t files then import them into Xpress. Then at the end of the project, you could send the finished programme back to Studio to write out to HD-DVD, which is another thing that "professional" NLEs can't manage yet

:-)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders