xh a1 Optical Image Stabiliser and fig rig at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old October 17th, 2007, 02:46 AM   #1
New Boot

xh a1 Optical Image Stabiliser and fig rig

hello from spain, is my first post in this forum, i have the a1 and fig rig and i have a dude, when the a1 is mount on the fig rig, is recomendable deactivate the stabiliser or let it on, (sorry but my english is limited for the moment)
Jorge Mendoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2007, 06:59 AM   #2
Wrangler

Your English is better than my Spanish.

In general, when on a reasonably sturdy tripod it is better to turn the image stabilization OFF. This eliminates the lag and overshoot at the start/end of pans and tilts.

But the Fig Rig is something different. From what I've read it sounds reasonable to turn the OIS OFF with the rig. Part of the reason for use the Fig Rig is to retain some of the smoother, wide range of motion, characteristic of hand-held shots with heavy camcorders, and OIS would tend to fight that effect.

Best idea is to try it both ways as see which results are more to you liking.
Old October 17th, 2007, 08:35 AM   #3
Major Player

I use the A1 with a Fig Rig and leave the OIS on. I've tried it both on and off and can't really see a difference.

One thing I've found is that I've gotten some really beautiful smooth shots (arguably close to a stedicam) with the fig rig and then using the smooth cam filter in FCP.
Josh Laronge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2007, 10:00 AM   #4
New Boot

thanks, I had to try both(on & of) and no see difference, i will prove with different movements as pans or running with it for see the results and iŽll write here
Jorge Mendoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2007, 10:25 AM   #5
Disjecta

I would recommend shooting with the OIS off. Shooting with it turned on tends to give an exaggerated stutter when you are panning or if fast moving objects go through the frame.

I'm speaking based on my experience with the XLH1 although I haven't really seen that same issue with the XHA1. I wonder if they changed something in the latter?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders