DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   What is this problem? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/106297-what-problem.html)

Juni Zhao October 23rd, 2007 04:16 PM

What is this problem?

http://channeldv.com/public/uncompressed.JPG

This picture was taken from an HDTV screen that was hooked directly from my A1. I used 60i SD and annoyed by the jagged lines. I tried a Sony Z1, almost the same problem. I just wonder if this is the way it is, or something wrong?

Boyd Ostroff October 23rd, 2007 06:23 PM

That looks pretty bad to me. However, if I had to guess I'd say the HDTV isn't doing a very good job of scaling the image up to HD resolution. SD material looks pretty bad on my HD LCD screens also. Remember, you only have 720x480 (or 720x576 PAL) pixels to work with. The TV needs to enlarge that to 1920x1080 (or whatever the native resolution is). Since those numbers don't divide evenly there are always some scaling artifacts.

Aside from that, I haven't been all that impressed by the quality of my Z1 when shooting in SD mode. It looks better to my eyes when shooting HDV and downconverting via firewire when capturing.

Richard Hunter October 24th, 2007 08:24 AM

What is the resolution of the TV screen? If it is 1366x768 then it could be taking your 1080i video, deinterlacing by discarding one field, which gets it to 540p, and then upscaling to 720p. This would result in artifacts such as the ones you are seeing, although I have to say these are very rough.

Richard

Eric Weiss October 24th, 2007 09:33 AM

It's because it is SD content.

Shoot HDV and try it or go into the TV menu area and select
one of the SD display options.

Juni Zhao October 24th, 2007 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Hunter (Post 763809)
What is the resolution of the TV screen? If it is 1366x768 then it could be taking your 1080i video, deinterlacing by discarding one field, which gets it to 540p, and then upscaling to 720p. This would result in artifacts such as the ones you are seeing, although I have to say these are very rough.

Richard

The TV is just a regular plasma 42" 1080i, so I assume it's 1920x1080. The thing is: when it plays regular commercial DVD it's just nice and smooth. I don't get why there is such a difference....

Juni Zhao October 24th, 2007 11:06 AM

OK, I just tried hooking up to an old CRT TV, the result is the same, and I tried a commercial DVD it showed smooth picture.....

Rob Stoner October 24th, 2007 11:14 AM

how are you connecting the a1 to the tv? i believe that the only way to get true hd qualty video out of the camera is to hook it up to the tv via component cables rather than the bnc cable. just a thought.

Eric Weiss October 24th, 2007 11:19 AM

That's unfortunate.

I've stated many times that SD on the A1 is next to useless.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, most people won't be looking at the lines
with the race cars zooming around. Just shoot HDV in the future and downconvert. You will get a better picture.

Juni Zhao October 24th, 2007 12:20 PM

Yes you are absolutely right Eric, I concluded that SD (A1 as well as Z1) is pretty crappy too. Most of the times I can bring the footage back to my digital studio to do editing, but some other times clients just want the tape with SD footage right on the spot, in this case I have to shoot SD. Although I never got any complaints, I just feel unhappy with the artifacts rendered by A1 SD......

Juni Zhao October 24th, 2007 12:25 PM

Oh by the way, do you shoot HDV in 60i, 30f, or 24f?
People constantly say that 24p is more filmic, but through my testing the filmic look comes from right exposure, right luminance, and all the color configurations, nothing to do with frame rate or the way of scan. But it's just my personal opinion...

Petri Kaipiainen October 24th, 2007 12:39 PM

Why do you say SD on A1 is crappy? To me it looks much better than any prosumer SD cam I have worked with. We are doing almost all our shooting at 16:9 SD with XH-A1 and no client has complaned yet. Actually we are getting clients used to having digibeta originals.

Steven Dempsey October 24th, 2007 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Weiss (Post 763974)
That's unfortunate.

I've stated many times that SD on the A1 is next to useless.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, most people won't be looking at the lines
with the race cars zooming around. Just shoot HDV in the future and downconvert. You will get a better picture.

I just cannot agree with this. I have shot many projects using SD 30f and the picture is wonderful.

Philip Williams October 24th, 2007 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juni Zhao (Post 763945)
The TV is just a regular plasma 42" 1080i, so I assume it's 1920x1080. The thing is: when it plays regular commercial DVD it's just nice and smooth. I don't get why there is such a difference....

It should be noted that commercial DVDs are typically encoded with 24P content and are displayed as progressive frames. Upscaling a progressive image on a 1080i set is likely to provide a superior picture than upscaling an interlaced standard definition picture.

Not saying this to "excuse" the A1 per se, but it is important to note that comparing SD/60i to SD/24P footage on your television is similar to comparing apples and pears.

Juni Zhao October 24th, 2007 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petri Kaipiainen (Post 764033)
Why do you say SD on A1 is crappy? To me it looks much better than any prosumer SD cam I have worked with. We are doing almost all our shooting at 16:9 SD with XH-A1 and no client has complaned yet. Actually we are getting clients used to having digibeta originals.

Well this is what my thread is all about. Please take a look at my picture. I am trying to find out why it looked so rough. Again, I didn't do any compression, I just shot in 16:9 SD 60i, then hooked up directly to the TV. I used RCA cables though, I don't think the cable is responsible.

Philip Williams October 24th, 2007 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juni Zhao (Post 764079)
I used RCA cables though, I don't think the cable is responsible.

Mmmm... you don't mean the composite video ouput that sends the video out over the yellow RCA cable right? I must have missunderstood, long day...

Juni Zhao October 24th, 2007 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philip Williams (Post 764082)
Mmmm... you don't mean the composite video ouput that sends the video out over the yellow RCA cable right? I must have missunderstood, long day...

I meant the composite cable with yellow RCA jack that came along with the camera... :-)

Philip Williams October 24th, 2007 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juni Zhao (Post 764100)
I meant the composite cable with yellow RCA jack that came along with the camera... :-)

Well, now then we're talking about an interlaced video being piped across a cable that supports around 240 lines of resolution, then upscale that entire questionable video signal to 1080i and... well, there you go :)

Carl Middleton October 24th, 2007 02:11 PM

Also, watching a commercial DVD on an HDTV connected via component or HDMI is going to look gorgeous. The DVD player, if it's one so enabled, is going to upconvert to HD, whereas the component yellow cable is going to be piping pure SD.

C

Juni Zhao October 24th, 2007 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philip Williams (Post 764102)
Well, now then we're talking about an interlaced video being piped across a cable that supports around 240 lines of resolution, then upscale that entire questionable video signal to 1080i and... well, there you go :)

I hope you found what my problem is :-), however, let me post another picture:
http://channeldv.com/public/mpg2compressed.JPG

This one was taken from the same TV with a component cable connected to the DVD. The video was compressed to mpeg2 using Cinema Craft Encoder (the most expensive and the best software encoder out there), but the result is pretty much the same. Another enlightenment please :-)

Rob Stoner October 24th, 2007 02:35 PM

are these lines visible in the original footage when viewed on your computer monitor when editing?

Jeff Kellam October 24th, 2007 02:46 PM

Quote:

There is 0% chance your 42" Plasma is 1920X1080, no such thing.

If it is 0 to 2 years old it is probably 1024X768.

If it is 1 to 3 years old it is probably 852X480.

Juni Zhao October 24th, 2007 02:49 PM

OK, here is a pic I captured from my NLE:
http://channeldv.com/public/original.bmp
The wires are still jagged. Any comment?

Eric Weiss October 24th, 2007 03:00 PM

The flag isn't looking too good either.

Shoot HDV and downconvert.

Shooting SD with the A1 is heresy.

Rob Stoner October 24th, 2007 03:01 PM

my guess is that the wires were twisted. it is very rare that cables that are hung are just hanging and not twisted around a guide wire. either that or it is interlacing artifacts. either way this means that it is part of your source footage and not an artifact that is introduced by compression or the tv.

Juni Zhao October 24th, 2007 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Stoner (Post 764134)
my guess is that the wires were twisted. it is very rare that cables that are hung are just hanging and not twisted around a guide wire.

Hehe, this is the New England Style wire hanging.....

Juni Zhao October 24th, 2007 03:12 PM

here is another pic using Sony Z1U,
http://channeldv.com/public/original_z1u.bmp

So can I say this problem is a universal problem with all HDV camera when SD is used?

Eric Weiss October 24th, 2007 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juni Zhao (Post 764139)
here is another pic using Sony Z1U,
http://channeldv.com/public/original_z1u.bmp

So can I say this problem is a universal problem with all HDV camera when SD is used?

That's awful.

"Hehe, this is the New England Style wire hanging....."

I don't see any witches dangling from them?

Juni Zhao October 24th, 2007 03:20 PM

http://channeldv.com/public/original_z1u2.bmp
this is a better pic with Z1U, I deinterlaced the still....

Richard Hunter October 24th, 2007 04:35 PM

Quote:

Sorry my question wasn't relevant. Didn't notice you were using SD.

Richard

Richard Hunter October 24th, 2007 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Kellam (Post 764127)
There is 0% chance your 42" Plasma is 1920X1080, no such thing.

Hi Jeff. Why do you say this? We have these "Full HD" plasma sets for sale in Singapore. They're not as common as Full HD LCDs but you can get them no problem.

Richard

Eric Weiss October 24th, 2007 04:47 PM

Panasonic makes some nice ones.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...elevision.html

"Originally Posted by Jeff Kellam
There is 0% chance your 42" Plasma is 1920X1080, no such thing."

I hope Jeff doesn't gamble.

Steve Wolla October 24th, 2007 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juni Zhao (Post 764020)
Yes you are absolutely right Eric, I concluded that SD (A1 as well as Z1) is pretty crappy too. Most of the times I can bring the footage back to my digital studio to do editing, but some other times clients just want the tape with SD footage right on the spot, in this case I have to shoot SD. Although I never got any complaints, I just feel unhappy with the artifacts rendered by A1 SD......

The A1 in SD mode takes simply beautiful pictures....better than any SD cam I have yet used.

Your plasma if a new "1080P" model, would have 1920 X 1080. If it's a couple years old, it'll be 1078 X 768 or similar.That still produces a stunning image.

Petri Kaipiainen October 24th, 2007 11:46 PM

The only way you can judge SD quality is to look at it with a SD monitor. XH-A1 SD looks just about perfect on a pro SD monitor and normal SD CRT TV set. It it looks bad on HD LSD screen there is something happening with the upscaling, interlacing, cables etc. which has nothing to do with the camera itself.

Stefan Scherperel October 25th, 2007 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Wolla (Post 764307)
The A1 in SD mode takes simply beautiful pictures....better than any SD cam I have yet used.

Your plasma if a new "1080P" model, would have 1920 X 1080. If it's a couple years old, it'll be 1078 X 768 or similar.That still produces a stunning image.

While I don't want to dispute what is a beatiful SD image, I too will say that my experience shooting SD 16:9 on the Canon A1 is also awful. The same type of jagged lines occured and pretty much ruined the footage. My way of getting by this, just shoot in HD and downconvert from my NLE. Honestly the footage looks like it was shot from a completly different camera (with the NLE downconvert looking so much better).
If you want to chalk it up to user error, so be it, but I havn't found a magic button on the camera to give SD footage a clean look. . . only jagged lines everywhere.

Juni Zhao October 25th, 2007 10:12 AM

Ok Stefan, at least I know other fellows have the same jagged line problem with A1 (possibly most other HDV cameras) SD 16:9, I am not alone now.

I found downconverting with the camera is quite decent, and time saving....

Juni Zhao October 25th, 2007 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petri Kaipiainen (Post 764374)
The only way you can judge SD quality is to look at it with a SD monitor. XH-A1 SD looks just about perfect on a pro SD monitor and normal SD CRT TV set. It it looks bad on HD LSD screen there is something happening with the upscaling, interlacing, cables etc. which has nothing to do with the camera itself.

Please take a look at this picture: http://channeldv.com/public/original.bmp
This was taken from my NLE system, and nothing to do with monitor, you can see the jagged wires all over.

And this camera angle is done with a Sony Z1U, pretty much the same problem.
http://channeldv.com/public/original_z1u2.bmp

Mikko Lopponen October 25th, 2007 12:11 PM

The image looks deinterlaced. Check your editing settings.

Jeff Kellam October 25th, 2007 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Weiss (Post 764192)
Panasonic makes some nice ones.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...elevision.html

"Originally Posted by Jeff Kellam
There is 0% chance your 42" Plasma is 1920X1080, no such thing."

I hope Jeff doesn't gamble.

Richard & Eric:

I guess I am about 4 or 5 months behind the times. That is the only one I have ever seen. Since someone now makes that panel, I guess several mfgs will start putting out 1920X1080s in 42" plasma.

I still say there is 0% chance the OPs is 1920X1080.

Petri Kaipiainen October 25th, 2007 11:23 PM

When I say the only way to judge the image is a proper SD monitor, I mean it. Feed the SD signal straight from camera to regular SD CRT TV or a pro monitor. XH-A1 is a video camera meant to shoot interlaced television video. If the signal is fed to ANYTHING else (NLE, computer display, large panel LCD TV etc) it is not standard display anymore and conversion, non-standard settings like deinterlacing, wrong field order, upscaling etc can wreck havoc of the picture. And that is not the CAMERA'S fault!!!!

Bottom line: If the SD looks bad, there is something wrong with the display chain.

Steve Wolla October 26th, 2007 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stefan Scherperel (Post 764581)
While I don't want to dispute what is a beatiful SD image, I too will say that my experience shooting SD 16:9 on the Canon A1 is also awful. The same type of jagged lines occured and pretty much ruined the footage. My way of getting by this, just shoot in HD and downconvert from my NLE. Honestly the footage looks like it was shot from a completly different camera (with the NLE downconvert looking so much better).
If you want to chalk it up to user error, so be it, but I havn't found a magic button on the camera to give SD footage a clean look. . . only jagged lines everywhere.

That shouldn't be.....the cam is certainly capable, in my experience anyways, of delivering excellent SD footage, without any sort of jagged lines. My point was, that owners of the A1 should not settle for such SD performance issues because it is not, in my experience, normal or characteristic of the cam.

I use my cam for my business, and shoot mostly SD, and if my cam did that, well....I would consider getting Canon involved and have them look at the cam. Don't acceot this as normal behavior of the cam--it isn't.